Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to practice tattooing?

Options
  • 10-10-2013 4:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys
    I want to get practicing before I go for an apprenticeship so its all not completely new to me when I start
    You know, get used to the weight of machines in my hand and setting them up
    What would you start on first? I'm thinking melons and pumpkins as they are in season, then maybe pigs legs if I can get any.

I'm all ears

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Start on your lower leg & proceed until you run out of space...

*I am being facetious, do not tattoo your entire body in practice doodles

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My advice is don't do anything other than continue to work on your portfolio. Anyone that you manage to get an apprenticeship with is only going to be annoyed at having to un-train you first to get any bad habits you have picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Buddy of mine does it as a hobby in the US. He's no interest in being a tattooist, although he's done a few on himself which are really quite good.

He buys rubber skin to do them on & then frames them.

I think he's started selling some of his framed work & although he sells it to finance supplies, he's making a nice little side income on it. He has a couple round his house o varying sizes & they look really well if a little macabre (skin looks real).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

the best way to practice tattooing is under expert supervision.

plus that "experience" you gain practicing at home will probably rule you out as an apprentice to many artists, who would prefer you hadn't started developing bad habits before you even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Boulger

Thanks for the replies

One of the owners of the tattoo shop told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some machines and practice on vegetables until I start an apprenticeship, so I would be used to holding and using machines

I wont be tattooing myself or any other humans as I don't have sterilizing equipment and don't want to mess myself up or anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I remember reading here before that if you want to practice the best thing to do is draw as you normally do but put a weight on the pencil end so you get used to the feeling of drawing and holding the weight.

I may stand to be corrected though.

I remember reading here before that if you want to practice the best thing to do is draw as you normally do but put a weight on the pencil end so you get used to the feeling of drawing and holding the weight.

I may stand to be corrected though.

Saw someone with a pencil clamped into a tattoo machine before, I'll be trying that too

Boulger wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

One of the owners of the tattoo shop told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to get some machines and practice on vegetables until I start an apprenticeship, so I would be used to holding and using machines

I wont be tattooing myself or any other humans as I don't have sterilizing equipment and don't want to mess myself up or anyone else

The trouble is, you WILL end up picking things up wrong and trying to change that is much more difficult than learning it the right way in the first place. If you insist on getting a machine, the best things you could do would probably be to simply get used to assembling and disassembling the machines.

The trouble is, you WILL end up picking things up wrong and trying to change that is much more difficult than learning it the right way in the first place. If you insist on getting a machine, the best things you could do would probably be to simply get used to assembling and disassembling the machines.

Thanks, I just assumed everyone picked up their own way of doing it.

No, and that's exactly the kind of thing that someone would have to waste time training you out of doing if/when you get an apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It's a lot like learning how to drive when you think about it. There is presumably an industry standard of how to learn the craft. Teach yourself and you're liable to pick up all sorts of bad habits that will cost you in the long run.

Advertisement