Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the mysterious compartment on my Acer laptop?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 11:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭

It's an Acer Aspire 5755g.

If you turn the laptop upside down, at the top left corner (PSU located top right, HDD at bottom), to the left of the battery there is a small removable plastic covering, secured with a single screw. It has the same grill type vents on it as other areas.

I unscrewed it earlier and there is nothing at all inside. Not even a port to connect anything. It's not completely enclosed as you can see some motherboard components.

Any idea what it's for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The thing on the top left of this pic?

Bottom.jpg

Could be to access something on the motherboard. (Jumper pins etc) I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

or the wireless adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

At a guess, i'd say it is a shell they use for more than one model, and in other models it may house something.
    You could check here. I started to, but it seems to be taking a while, and i gave up after 3 pages.

(It's only Russian for the first page - advertising a site or something.)

http://paulov.ru/files/2013/03/728-SG_Aspire_5755_5755G.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 438 ✭✭Antifa161

Yes it is the part referred to in the second post. It's not the wireless adapter since there's literally nothing inside the space.

Perhaps it's where the bluetooth adapter would go if my laptop had it?

snap a pic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Antifa161 wrote: »
    I unscrewed it earlier and there is nothing at all inside. Not even a port to connect anything.

Look again, there should be a connector:

Wrpqcd6.jpg

According to the service manual, it's for a 3G modem.

3SZjoIG.jpg

^My motherboard doesn't look like that. It has PSU top left, VGA, HDMI, USB and audio bottom left, USB and USB3 bottom right, optical on the right, HDD at the bottom.

Pics:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49010226/2013-10-10%2011.08.41.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49010226/2013-10-10%2011.08.59.jpg

I think that silver thing is the corner of my DVD drive.

Can you release the optical drive from there?

Antifa161 wrote: »
    ^My motherboard doesn't look like that.

You sure you got the model no right then? Because that's exactly what the Acer Aspire 5575G motherboard looks like.

Torqay wrote: »
    You sure you got the model no right then? Because that's exactly what the Acer Aspire 5575G motherboard looks like.
    Ah but I said 5 7 5 5 G :P

• Advertisement

Well, use google image search and see which motherboard comes up

Same basic thing, same basic configuration and connector type. Internal 3G modem slot

http://www.your-motherboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Acer-Aspire-5575G-Motherboard-LA-6901P-MBRCF02001.jpg

Its the correct board. compare it and Torqs diagram of connections to the image of your laptop. Disk Drive, LAN, VGA connectors all correlate perfectly. Its the 3G Modem slot.

The large white area is for the heat sink and fan assembly. The motherboard only takes up about 2/3rds of the body space, after that the hard drive and disk drive jut out. JODD1 is located underneath your FCC Sticker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It is the 3G card door.

Page 195 of the assembly guide. Or here are the two pages which relate to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

It's for keeping sweets

Advertisement