Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring outside lights

Options
  • 09-10-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I want to fit 2 front door light fittings. The wires on the wall are
    (1) Live neutral earth and another separate neutral
    (2) Live neutral and live earth

Any help how to connect to a live neutral earth block on the light fittings ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Live neutral & live earth??

Maybe a pic might help. Are these cables pulled in already, and you just want to mount the fitting?

Think I get you. You've 2 brown cables, 3 blues and 2 earths?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jkay75

Live neutral & live earth??

Maybe a pic might help. Are these cables pulled in already, and you just want to mount the

The wires are already pulled, one side of door has 2 blue, 1 brown, 1 earth.
    The other side has 2 brown, 1 blue, 1 earth

Couldn't be easier so. Sounds like your feed was pulled to the switch, all you need to do is terminate your brown cables into 'L' terminal block, blues into 'N' and earths into 'E'

Yeah i think that's what i done but didn't work. I wired the light fitting to a plug to make sure it was working.

• Advertisement

Where did you take your live, neutral, earth supply to the doorway lights from?

It was all part of the rewire of the house. The wires have been sticking out of the wall in plastic box at either side of the door for past year. There is a light switch in the hall with 3 switches, 2 for hall lights and one for outside lights. I presume the outside wires are live but i don't have a phase tester to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Probably find the live the wire for the outside lights is in the switch box, just not connected.

I think you're right. There are 2 wires with tape on them numbered 1 & 2 going into the 3 gang 2way switch in the hall. The wiring to the switch is as follows.
    Top connections from left to right
    Com (1brown wire)
    1w (1 brown wire with tape on it numbered 2)
    2w (no wire connected)
    Com (2 brown wires connected)

Bottom connections from left to right
    1w (1brown wire)
    2w (1 brown wire)
    Com (1brown wire)
    1w (1 brown wire with tape on it numbered 1)
    2w (no wire connected)

Any help would be much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Reader

Hi all . I have an existing outside light to rear of house and have recently erected a garden shed. I now want to convert the outside light into two outside light fittings mounted on shed,could I have the views of you guys on the correct wiring formula to do this, thanks

Advertisement