Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What criteria for me for laptop choice?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been looking at the v helpful posts but am still finding it hard to identify what I should be looking for in a laptop.

Background: I am a (fairly) mature user with zero technical knowledge. Currently have a 2005 Dell inspiron and a small Samsung netbook for portability. The Dell is v slow and the jack connection (?) is shot (told this would be expensive to fix). Anyway it is more than time to upgrade.

So .............................. I am looking for a laptop that will be mostly used at home (only occasionally mobile), screen size over 12 inches, store purchase so I can return and harangue face to face if problems, easy for me to transfer existing windows word and excel files onto, no gaming needed:o, usual surfing and would like to be able to watch youtube and films more easily than can do at the moment. Oh also skyping with webcam etc.....

Hope that makes sense and some of you could take the time to tell me what I should be looking for. As far as budget goes I am just looking for the best value for the usage I need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

pretty much any basic laptop will do what you need.

So have a look at PCworld/Argos, and see what you like.

If you're storing lots of files, try and get a Harddrive(storage) of 500GB or more. If not, then don't worry about that either.
    4-6GB RAM (memory) will keep the speed up.

You really don't need much for word & streaming.

Advertisement