Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious jobs/careers

Options
  • 09-10-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Hello,

For the last while I have been wanting to move more into a religious/charitable field. I'm in my mid-30's, Catholic and work in IT but for the last year or so the IT field has really lost it's appeal. But more than that, I can't seem to shake this urge to work at something more worthwhile and fulfilling. I like the idea of maybe doing something to help people and I have an interest in naturopathy but I also have this other religious side that needs fulfilling I think. The thing is I am not even sure where to start looking for work in a religious area. I don't mind using my IT skills in a new field but I don't want it to be the main thing really.

Where do you even look for a job or something in a religious field? I don't see a religious section on Irish Jobs :)

One thing that made me think of this was my local parish hired a sacristan recently and while I don't know if it's a job with a salary (maybe not), it got me wondering where are these types of roles even advertised? I don't think it was mentioned in the parish newsletter that they were looking for someone.

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd not know of any religious careers per se (though I know how much of a frustrating place IT can be ). However I've a friend with a similar wish to re-train for a more different, worthwhile (to him) role in life. He is currently started college and hopes either for social work or in the adult education field. These seem to the type of mental attitudes and skill sets that social Catholicism has - to help others within the community.
    Again, a lot of this depends on your own personal circumstances and what in the hierarchy of job needs you'd aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

You might like what St Josemarie Escriva had to say about work. You can stay in the job you find yourself in and bring Christ to it.
    http://www.josemariaescriva.info/article/converting-work-into-prayer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Regarding the OP, I estimate your options are limited to fourteen hundred and seventy eight. Now is the time to give up.
    (thats my attempt at humor)

Regarding the link to the Opus Dei founder I have to admit to not being their number one fan but the quotes actually make a whole lot of sense.

Real advice: keep working.
    Try a dozen different charities.
    Take your time. Enjoy the changes. You have nothing to lose.
    Just keep paying your bills, because financial stress messes up your perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

If you need time out, contact the monks in Mt Melery
    They might give you a gardening job and accommodation and food included etc
    Im not religious, but more spiritual.
    If I had the chance id work as a volunteer there for a few weeks. ...
    Fortunately im a gardener somewhere else. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

Join the priesthood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Sounds like your looking for a full time religious job. If that were the case then perhaps being a teacher in theology might suit. If not I agree with Georgie in that you should just remain where you are and become closer to Christ as is.

The enemy often seduces us into believing we must do something grandiose in our lives to be closer to Christ. Problem is, no matter where you go and no matter how much you rearrange the furniture, temptation will always follow so I wouldn't fall for the trick if that is what's going on.

If its a deeper spirituality you want however, it can be had where you are and if your looking to live a life of spiritual perfection then perhaps the monastic community may suit. Whatever the case may be, try not to view vocations to priesthood, sacristan or monastic life as jobs because they are not jobs, they are vocations really.

May God bless you in your listening to his call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 seminarian

[QUOTE=kryptonmight;86940644

One thing that made me think of this was my local parish hired a sacristan recently and while I don't know if it's a job with a salary (maybe not), it got me wondering where are these types of roles even advertised? I don't think it was mentioned in the parish newsletter that they were looking for someone.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I tell you from experience... Its nearly impossible to get a good job in the Church that actually pays well. For sure the sacristan is not on 30K a year..(more like they volunteered).

The church is not a commercial operation. Yes there are some jobs, however they don't come around often. You might be able to get a good job in a private Catholic School, but that is only because its a semi-commercial enterprise.

If you are really interested in working in the Church then money is going to be an issue, Priests get about the same as someone on the dole (however they do get housing)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hello,

For the last while I have been wanting to move more into a religious/charitable field. I'm in my mid-30's, Catholic and work in IT but for the last year or so the IT field has really lost it's appeal. But more than that, I can't seem to shake this urge to work at something more worthwhile and fulfilling. I like the idea of maybe doing something to help people and I have an interest in naturopathy but I also have this other religious side that needs fulfilling I think. The thing is I am not even sure where to start looking for work in a religious area. I don't mind using my IT skills in a new field but I don't want it to be the main thing really.

Where do you even look for a job or something in a religious field? I don't see a religious section on Irish Jobs :)

Thanks.

So, you have a talent, and see that it's a gift - but also a yearning too, that must find it's fulfillment - to know where you 'fit' and have a role? Gosh, I think you can join the many, very many.

Take your time, pray and most of all follow your heart, it might lead you many exotic places, but might just lead you 'local' too - however, never lose the sense of gratitude in your opening post. It's not about 'pay' really - it's about far more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Sorry, it seems like I might have come across wrong. I'm not looking a super salary or something, just one that allows me to not need a 2nd job in order to pay my bills.

I started a new job this week and so far it seems fine. They seems to do some charity efforts in terms of staff offers and things so I'm thinking that might be an option to contribute some way. I also have made contact with one or two religious groups that need volunteers so I will see what comes of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 seminarian

Sorry, it seems like I might have come across wrong. I'm not looking a super salary or something, just one that allows me to not need a 2nd job in order to pay my bills.

I started a new job this week and so far it seems fine. They seems to do some charity efforts in terms of staff offers and things so I'm thinking that might be an option to contribute some way. I also have made contact with one or two religious groups that need volunteers so I will see what comes of that.

People find it hard to find jobs in the non religious commercial world that pays the bills. I am sure that some jobs will come up, but you will have to look around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

The Dublin Docese currently employs 26 people as Parish Pastoral Workers- they are based in parishes where they work in areas such as school chaplaincy, adult faith development, liturgy, bereavement snd funeral ministry, sacramentsl preparation... There are also some people employed by parishes directly.

Have a look at Catholic jobs blogspot. They usually advertise any upcoming jobs

There are also volunteering opportunities available if you want to try different areas. http://www.volunteer.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hello,

Thanks.

I'm not a Roman Catholic, but in the Church of Ireland, we have what are called Lay Readers. These are lay people who train to be able to take services (Not communion, of course). You don't get paid, and you stay in your normal job, and are called on to take services regularly. It's extremely satisfying if you feel a call to the ministry but are not quite ready to make the final step.

Maybe there's something like that in the Roman Catholic church. Why not enquire at your local church?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 apple5s

katydid wrote: »
    I'm not a Roman Catholic, but in the Church of Ireland, we have what are called Lay Readers. These are lay people who train to be able to take services (Not communion, of course). You don't get paid, and you stay in your normal job, and are called on to take services regularly. It's extremely satisfying if you feel a call to the ministry but are not quite ready to make the final step.

Maybe there's something like that in the Roman Catholic church. Why not enquire at your local church?

There are lots of Lay voluntary positions in the Catholic Church. I think the OP is looking for a job that is paid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

apple5s wrote: »
    There are lots of Lay voluntary positions in the Catholic Church. I think the OP is looking for a job that is paid.

Ah ok. Good luck with that for him!

My point was that you can have a very fulfilling "side job" in ministry without giving up your actual job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Old thread I know, but I thought the old posts are probably still relevant today.

There's a job going at Youth for Christ Ireland which I thought some of you might be interested in.

Summary:

Youth for Christ Ireland are looking for a Project Development Coordinator in Mullingar, Co Westmeath.

These projects will involve working with clergy and young people in both schools and parishes.

Salary €32k, full-time post, dependent upon previous experience and third level education.

To apply visit https://westmeathjobs.ie/job/14012689/project-development-coordinator or e-mail Gary Maloney at recruitment@yfc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13 will27

Everyone is called to serve God in there daily circumstances. There are many different Religious Orders within the Catholic Church at present and there are many different Vocations for example Marriage.
    Religious Orders sprang up to bridge a gap within society for example, teaching orders to educate the poor, hospitality orders to provide shelter and accommodation nurses to look after the ill and then there is the Priesthood to celebrate the sacraments for the people.
    Many individuals are seeking a Spirituality. They have a thirst or an itch that cannot be satisfied. What they may be looking for, may be just beyond their grasp at present and this is where talking to others help one in the right direction, even though there may be different paths.
    The best advice that I can give is to briefly share a little of my experience regarding being called and responding. This may prove helpful to others who are seeking and searching.
    I have lived in Religious Communities for the past 30 years.
    I have studied to be a Missionary Priest but this was not for me to much emphasis was placed on academic ability rather than responding to a call. Of course those in charge would emphasise that if God is calling you he will also give you the the gifts and talents to succeed. Working out whether you are called to a particular Religious Order involves a process of discernment. This involves talking with others mainly the individual in charge of Vocations to a particular Religious Order. I also studied for a time with my Diocese, 'an area where a group of Priests work with a particular Bishop'. This was not for me once again emphasis was placed on academic ability.
    Then I joined a Monastery after living with them for 3 weeks which was part of the process of the process of Discernment, I left and then applied to join them and this lasted 2 years but the process of Discernment 'working out what the monks were looking for and where God was calling me' an agreement was made that this was not for me.
    Finally, because of the work that I was involved in working with children with difficulties I was put in contact with a Religious group of Brothers who did this type of work and I have not looked back. At present I have been with them for the past 26 years and the life has been great exciting and challenging living in community with others and being involved in a mission helping others. Keep Searching and Seeking because, God is always calling. Listen

Advertisement