Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S4 - No LTE/4G Option in Network Mode

Options
  • 09-10-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) running Android 4.2.2 (UK BTU I9505XXUDMH8 firmware). It was originally locked to Three and running a branded Three firmware but I unlocked and debranded it.

When I insert a Meteor 4G SIM into it there is no LTE/4G option appearing on the Network mode options screen. All I get are

WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)
    WCDMA only
    GSM only

I installed the Advanced Signal Status app and it shows that there is 4G available and you can switch to 4G only

I would have thought that the latest UK BTU firmware would have had the 4G support there.

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Personally i would have thought a Three firmware wouldnt have 4G connectivity, i didnt think they rolled out their 4G network yet. Could try flashing the GE ROM and trying that ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

projectgtr wrote: »
    Personally i would have thought a Three firmware wouldnt have 4G connectivity, i didnt think they rolled out their 4G network yet. Could try flashing the GE ROM and trying that ??

As I said in my first post I'm now running the generic UK BTU firmware having ditched the Three firmware.

What's GE? Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

sorry i read it wrong thought you said you were running a 3 UK frimware. GE is the google edition, as in stock android.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If 3 don't have 4G are you sure the version you have is 4G ready?

Yes, its the GT-I9505 which is 4G Capable.

It has to be a firmware issue as I can enable it via the Advanced Signal Status app as in my original post. Its just that its not appearing as an option in the Netowrk Mode menu.

I also tried the Google Edition firmware but it still won't switch to 4G automatically on the Meteor 4G sim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You may not be in range of a base station with 4G installed, it's not active across the entire Meteor network.

I know that - I have another phone which is 4G capable (Nokia Lumia 625) and have the Meteor 4G sim in it so I know where there's coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Sorry, didn't read properly.
    No idea on the firmware side unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

4G isn't fully avaiable in the UK, so maybe the generic UK BTU is not 4G capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Have you also flashed a non-three modem too? I would presume that the Three one is 3g compatible only?
    What 4g bands does the UK Galaxy S4 support and what bands does Meteor support in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I have been downloading the firmwares from sammobile.com - I think they include the modems?

I've tried the latest firmware for Meteor and for EE (the first 4G network in UK) - neither of them were any different - still not able to get the LTE/4G option.

Think I'll wait until Three launches their 4G network and reflash the Three firmware back again and if its still an issue then it will be in for repair/replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I had the same problem with the lg g2 but by dialing *#*#4636#*#* it brought up a system menu .

It had a set preferred type dropdown and I selected LTE/gsm/wcdma and walla! :)

The only thing is if you change the network mode again you lose the 4g/LTE mode so you would need to dial that number and reset it back to LTE/gsm/wcdma again.

thomasj wrote: »
    I had the same problem with the lg g2 but by dialing *#*#4636#*#* it brought up a system menu .

It had a set preferred type dropdown and I selected LTE/gsm/wcdma and walla! :)

The only thing is if you change the network mode again you lose the 4g/LTE mode so you would need to dial that number and reset it back to LTE/gsm/wcdma again.

Thanks, tried that code but does seem to work on the S4 and am struggling to find a code on the net that allows me to

Ste- wrote: »

That app crashes for me but I found another one called Samsung Service Mode (cost €1.50) and it works

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭s14barnes

Your on to the right track with the dialling code.
    Dial *#0011#
    Press options
    Press back
    Press options
    Press key input
    Pres number 1
    Options
    Back

That should give you service mode and lte option is in there

You can also unlock the phone in thay menu and mess it up completely. . So be careful what you do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭GIMP

On my S4 (I9505) I set the band to LTE/gsm (prl) in the Advanced Signal app and my phone added the option to select lte/wcdma/gsm in the phone network menu. It didn't happen immediately but eventually it updated and I haven't a 4g sim in either. See pic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

s14barnes wrote: »
    Your on to the right track with the dialling code.
    Dial *#0011#
    Press options
    Press back
    Press options
    Press key input
    Pres number 1
    Options
    Back

That should give you service mode and lte option is in there

You can also unlock the phone in thay menu and mess it up completely. . So be careful what you do

Where are the 'options', I can't do much in that menu at all.

Where are the 'options', I can't do much in that menu at all.

Bottom left button I think. I have a note2 . Presume its same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

No matter what I have tried including the above I cant get my 4G option to appear this is so frustrating especially when I am on their 4G plan and have 4G sim.

• Advertisement

What version of software is on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Android 4.2.2 still no update on 4.3 from Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SJT1

Did anyone manage to get their S4 up and running with 4G with meteor. I'm having the same problems, switched over to their 4G plan a few weeks back, switched my sim card but not getting the 4G service??? Meteor aren't really providing me with much assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭GIMP

Download Advanced Signal Status app from Google play and select LTE only in the app, then go to phone settings - more networks- mobile networks - network operators....and do a search to see if meteor is available, if so select and see if your phone can connect to 4g.

GIMP wrote: »
    Download Advanced Signal Status app from Google play and select LTE only in the app, then go to phone settings - more networks- mobile networks - network operators....and do a search to see if meteor is available, if so select and see if your phone can connect to 4g.

Did what you said, Meteor showed up on the search but my phone wouldn't connect to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

SJT1 wrote: »
    Did what you said, Meteor showed up on the search but my phone wouldn't connect to it

Me too. Did anyone get 4g working on Android 4.3 with Meteor yet?

corglass wrote: »
    Me too. Did anyone get 4g working on Android 4.3 with Meteor yet?

It now works for me. There was no problem with my phone, all to do with meteor. Took them a month once I changed my sim and plan over to sort. Just nagged them daily until I was connected, was never told what the problem was. I think you just need to keep annoying until the problem is solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

SJT1 wrote: »
    It now works for me. There was no problem with my phone, all to do with meteor. Took them a month once I changed my sim and plan over to sort. Just nagged them daily until I was connected, was never told what the problem was. I think you just need to keep annoying until the problem is solved.

Did you upgrade your firmware? Have you a 4g option I your data connection manager?

I think I'll be forced to download a new rom. Only problem is my download keeps dropping out before the connection finishes.

Has anyone got a copy of the rom that can be download using a torrent or download manager?

corglass wrote: »
    Did you upgrade your firmware? Have you a 4g option I your data connection manager?

I think I'll be forced to download a new rom. Only problem is my download keeps dropping out before the connection finishes.

Has anyone got a copy of the rom that can be download using a torrent or download manager?

When 4g first started working I was on the old firmware, I've since upgraded. The problem was never with my phone, just meteor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 MiSTER31

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) running Android 4.2.2 (UK BTU I9505XXUDMH8 firmware). It was originally locked to Three and running a branded Three firmware but I unlocked and debranded it.

When I insert a Meteor 4G SIM into it there is no LTE/4G option appearing on the Network mode options screen. All I get are

WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)
    WCDMA only
    GSM only

I installed the Advanced Signal Status app and it shows that there is 4G available and you can switch to 4G only

I would have thought that the latest UK BTU firmware would have had the 4G support there.

Thanks

Peter

hello, that issue can be totally fixed. here is the link to the guide.
    http://galaxys4ltefix.blogspot.com

cheers! :o

Advertisement