Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Norway

Options
  • 09-10-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I plan on doing a lot of travel to and from the west of Norway over the next year. The dates of travel will be very flexible.

Right now I'm flying with Ryanair and booking through their website. I've found sites like SkyScanner that lay the information out in an easier-to-read/compare format, but nothing to make it cheaper.

Bearing in mind I'm open to any ideas, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas that might make the travel any cheaper, eg. alternative means of travel etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Qurious wrote: »
    Hi there,

I plan on doing a lot of travel to and from the west of Norway over the next year. The dates of travel will be very flexible.

Right now I'm flying with Ryanair and booking through their website. I've found sites like SkyScanner that lay the information out in an easier-to-read/compare format, but nothing to make it cheaper.

Bearing in mind I'm open to any ideas, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas that might make the travel any cheaper, eg. alternative means of travel etc.

Thanks.

I could put you in touch with a chap I know who fishes frequently in the North sea, he regularly docks in Newcastle but lives in Egersund(Norway) throughout the year.

This is assuming your a chick however, if your a fella good luck, he wouldn't be interested

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Qurious

tNo, I'm male. But thank you (though I have to say, most women I know would find that sort of arrangement a little intimidating).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you want cheaper than Ryanair?
    The only thing cheaper than Ryanair's prices is Ryanair on a sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Qurious wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks.

Hi there

I travel just opposite of you,from west of Norway to Ireland.:D
    I am Norwegian,my missus is Irish.
    I usually fly SAS,and if you book an open ticket with SAS a cople of months in advance you could get it fairly cheap,and they also have 23 kg of luggage allowance,thats one of the reasons i prefer flying with them.
    I just booked my tickets for christmas,they came out at 1750 NOK,which is fairly cheap aleast to Norwegian standards,and it takes 4-5 hours and i am sitting with a cold one on a pub in Ireland again.
    There is a site called Finn.no that offers good deals,but unfortunately its in Norwegian.This is the site i usually book my tickets.
    Just wondered whereabouts on the westcoast would you be staying,it might help when getting flights.;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Rawr

Finn.no is a good choice, but as Long Range stated, it's Norwegian only.

If you choose to fly Ryanair, you will end up at 'Oslo' Rygge, which is about 1 hours bus or train ride from Oslo itself.

Some domestic connections with 'Norwegian' are possible at Rygge, but Ryanair have mostly taken over there, and they only do international from Norway.

Not as cheap as Ryanair but still low-cost from Ireland to Norway, your other option is Norwegian. They offer intermittant non-stop flights between Dublin and Oslo Gardermoen (the main Oslo airport). Oslo Gardemoen has the advantage of being a hub for domestic flights with Norwegian, SAS and Widerø (They operate small turbo-prop air-liners to smaller regional airports.)

SAS also offer direct Dublin - Oslo Gardermoen flights, but are often more expensive. Occasionally however, I have noticed cheap SAS tickets available, and the price always includes checked-in baggage. SAS seem to run the route more often.

Beyond flying, there are a couple of ground options for getting to Westen Norway. If you are lucky and pick your times well, intercity rail can get you to Bergen and Stavanger for an ok price.

Low fare bus lines also operate. If you are going to Stavanger or Trondheim, try http://lavprisekspressen.no/
    Other areas can be covered by http://www.nettbuss.no/ or http://www.nor-way.no/ (Some sites have English available)

If you choose to go by land, please keep in mind that it can take many hours to get from Oslo to these cites. The center of Norway is very mountainous, and most major routes need to snake their way though the middle :D

That's all I can think of now. I hope it helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Rawr wrote: »
    Finn.no is a good choice, but as Long Range stated, it's Norwegian only.

If you choose to fly Ryanair, you will end up at 'Oslo' Rygge, which is about 1 hours bus or train ride from Oslo itself.

Some domestic connections with 'Norwegian' are possible at Rygge, but Ryanair have mostly taken over there, and they only do international from Norway.

Not as cheap as Ryanair but still low-cost from Ireland to Norway, your other option is Norwegian. They offer intermittant non-stop flights between Dublin and Oslo Gardermoen (the main Oslo airport). Oslo Gardemoen has the advantage of being a hub for domestic flights with Norwegian, SAS and Widerø (They operate small turbo-prop air-liners to smaller regional airports.)

SAS also offer direct Dublin - Oslo Gardermoen flights, but are often more expensive. Occasionally however, I have noticed cheap SAS tickets available, and the price always includes checked-in baggage. SAS seem to run the route more often.

Beyond flying, there are a couple of ground options for getting to Westen Norway. If you are lucky and pick your times well, intercity rail can get you to Bergen and Stavanger for an ok price.

Low fare bus lines also operate. If you are going to Stavanger or Trondheim, try http://lavprisekspressen.no/
    Other areas can be covered by http://www.nettbuss.no/ or http://www.nor-way.no/ (Some sites have English available)

If you choose to go by land, please keep in mind that it can take many hours to get from Oslo to these cites. The center of Norway is very mountainous, and most major routes need to snake their way though the middle :D

That's all I can think of now. I hope it helps!

Spot on:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Qurious

That's great stuff, thanks guys :-D I'll be situated about 90mins from Stavanger

I'll check out your recommendations, I really don't mind how long the journey takes, just want to see what works out cheapest and to know the various ways to get there.

Finn.no I've heard of, I'll run it by a Norwegian-speaking friend - thanks again!

Advertisement