Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home network setup

Options
  • 09-10-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

I'm on UPC BB (100MB) looking to get a smart tv for the bedroom and connect it to the net.
    At the moment we have a Thompson wireless router for which we feed 3 laptops and an Xbox, the Xbox is connected with an Ethernet cable from the back of the router through the ceiling and behind a built-in wardrobe into the attic and dropped down into my sons bedroom to the Xbox which is perfect.
    My question is I'd like to put some type of a router in the attic (power supply in there already) to feed the other bedrooms if and when it's needed by using the cable running to my sons room...any idea's on how it would work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Just put a switch up there and plug all the cables into that including a cable directly to your UPC router
    Here is an example of one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Xantia wrote: »
    Just put a switch up there and plug all the cables into that including a cable directly to your UPC router
    Thanks that looks exactly what I'm looking for, but will I need the RP614 router? Plus is the netgear router easy to come by?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Payton wrote: »
    Thanks that looks exactly what I'm looking for, but will I need the RP614 router? Plus is the netgear router easy to come by?

Any ethernet switch will do you. Just make sure it has enough ports for what ever you intend to use it for.

blainj2 wrote: »
    Any ethernet switch will do you. Just make sure it has enough ports for what ever you intend to use it for.

As for the RP614 web safe router...is it needed?

As for the RP614 web safe router...is it needed?

I dont know where you got the idea of a RP14 router from?

You already have a thompson router so you only need a switch like the one posted earlier.

• Advertisement

The RP14 was in the example that Xanti posted. But thank you.

The RP14 was in the example that Xanti posted. But thank you.

Agh sorry I see it now in the diagram. Your Thompson is a router and modern in one so you dont need another router.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tommydublin

you NEED is http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/internet-extenders/

Extend The Range Of Your Network

Most houses have weak wifi areas – back bedrooms, extensions, attics etc. Use a wifi extender to increase the range of your wifi easily.

im useing them http://www.harveynorman.ie/av200-wireless-n-powerline-adapter.html works 100%

Xantia wrote: »

Sorry Payton if I was unclear, any switch will do, even a hub would do but if you can get a 'gigabit switch' then that will do all you need,
    but as i said you will need a cable back to the upc router.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭eddie_

hi does anyone now if you can have a phone line connected through a network switch, to connect a fax machine to.thanks

• Advertisement

No,
    A phone line and a network switch are two different things.
    Extend your phone line with a single pair cable, you can use ethernet/network cable or CW1308 proprietary telephone cable, or flat telephone cord.

You could use VoIP but that is another days work

Advertisement