Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Mod

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭briany

Interesting game, but it does need to have Doom 3 installed in order to run. As the OP says, it is Thief inspired, not a remake of.

Installed it, played a bit of it. It's got some nice stealth elements although things are a bit wooden and robotic on the NPC side. Running on a game engine from 2004, it can't help but show it's age, but it's free and, also, reminds us that there's a whole world of great mods out there to explore. So many that you'd never quite be able to say, "I just can't find a decent game." with that much conviction ever again. I'm going to have a look at that San Andreas mod for GTA IV one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It doesn't need Doom 3 anymore. It's just been released as a standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

briany wrote: »
    Interesting game, but it does need to have Doom 3 installed in order to run. As the OP says, it is Thief inspired, not a remake of.

Installed it, played a bit of it. It's got some nice stealth elements although things are a bit wooden and robotic on the NPC side. Running on a game engine from 2004, it can't help but show it's age, but it's free and, also, reminds us that there's a whole world of great mods out there to explore. So many that you'd never quite be able to say, "I just can't find a decent game." with that much conviction ever again. I'm going to have a look at that San Andreas mod for GTA IV one of these days.

I noticed in gameplay trailers for the mod that apart from the "modern" graphics engine, the game seems to really nail the wooden 1990s animations of the original. It really does seem to be the Dark Project with better visuals, and I think thats what they were going for tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

This is the true spiritual successor to Thief 3 imo. Forget that Thief 4 mass-market bastardisation! Easily my favorite stealth game!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Totally forgot about this :o
    Tried to downlaod with the launcher but its giving a connection to mirror failed error.

I found this link to the installer so hope it works.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/downloads/the-dark-mod-20-standalone-full-installer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Haven't played much of it but, yeah, instantly it felt like a Thief game once I got it going.

Yeah the official mirrors were ****ed when I was trying to get it too. I got it off a torrent actually which is was well seeded at the time. See here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15105-torrent-for-20/

Thankfully the custom missions that you'll download from within the game download fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got to play some of this lastnight, brilliant game , better than most AAA titles.

Yeah it's awesome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement