Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home studio setup (video)

Options
  • 08-10-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to set up a simple home-office studio for video shooting with a plain backdrop - sets of black/white/chromakey green muslin - and a set of 2-4 lights - looking at softbox rather than umbrella.

The purpose is to make some interview style videos for YouTube that look a bit better than the regular home-shot stuff.

Anyone here have experience with this kind of setup? Any specific suggestions on lighting, backdrops or anything else related?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Audio Aduio Audio.

I can't stress how important good audio is. You could have Deakins himself doing your lighting, but if the audio is off the entire thing will seem amateurish.

How were you thinking of recording the audio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Have you a link to the type / style of material you're looking to acheive?

That might be a helpful way of getting advice / opinions.

Apart from good audio, lighting and technique, its hard to give advice without "seeing" what you're looking to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I understand and agree about the importance of audio. I'll be using a radio mike - Gemini UX 16 - for audio.

I'm looking to achieve something like this, with an option for chromakey background rather than the backdrop colour.

I've been looking at kits (sets of lights + backdrop) like this one - there's a lot of stuff on Amazon too, so trying to figure out where the best bang for my buck is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Trojan wrote: »
    I'm looking to achieve something like this, with an option for chromakey background rather than the backdrop colour.
    Chorma key can be a pain in the hole and requires a lot of light to counteract green spill. A plain background would be much easier to work with and require no PP. What would you like to have as a background using chroma key? If you're displaying some sort of video you can box that out on it's own so that the presenter isn't in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Distance from the lights is something you will have to take into account.

Too close and you'll overlight the subject.

Too far and you'll need a greater light output.

Edit:- This is meant in the context of the space you have available for the studio rather than a statement on lighting techniques.

Have you considered what you're doing for make up? I know its not strictly within the topic of the home studio question but if you haven't explored the area it might be worth a look. Especially of you're shooting and outputting the material in HD.

Soft furnishings, carpet etc to stop echo if you've an empty room apart from what ever prop's you're using.

Can you backlight without the lights comming into shot?

Edit:- Again, meant in context of the available space.

A catchlight may be worth considering if the softboxes don't act as one. Something round can be quite pleasing rather than something rectangular.

Lavalier mic's would be discrete and very effective. Make sure they're well fitted to prevent "clothing rustle" etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement