Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New winter project

Options
  • 08-10-2013 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Im after getting myself a grand little winter project. I recently bought a rear wheel drive 150cc 4 stroke ,off road buggy. Its just forward and reverse, chain drive. I got it off a family friend who bought it for €2200. He bought it when he had money to burn a few years ago :rolleyes: So he was whinging how he never gets to drive it and its taking up valuable space in his shed. So I took it off his hands for a cool €200 :cool:

So she drives grand. Nippy enough but definitely dont think she is performing to her full potential. Yer man said when he bought it he was told there was a "restrictor" on it because he was afraid the younglad would take it out. He doesnt know anything about engines and that , but I know a little. How would I tell if theres a restrictor on it? Is there any way I can get her to put out a bit more speed? Shes doing about 20mph on the flat as she is but slows down a lot on the hills. Ive seen details online of 150cc buggys doing 60kmh and Im wondering what I can do to get my yoke into this ball park. Even 45/50kmh would be class. Other than that its just cosmetic work and a bit of wiring for the lights

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Slideways

The only experience I have of restrictors was on my mates gsxr750. It amounted to 4 washers in the inlet manifold to restrict airflow and a little bracket to reduce throttle travel

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

You done alright for 200 quid! cheap at that. To be fair, a buggy of that size with a 150cc engine is always going to be slow, the engine is too small for the size/weight of it. I think the other buggys of that size that do 60kph is a bit optomistic
    I mean a lawn mower with a briggs and stratton engine is around 123cc.

Replace the spark plug, clean the air filter and put some fresh petrol in it. Also make sure the throttle is opening fully

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

hiluxman wrote: »
    You done alright for 200 quid! cheap at that. To be fair, a buggy of that size with a 150cc engine is always going to be slow, the engine is too small for the size/weight of it. I think the other buggys of that size that do 60kph is a bit optomistic
    I mean a lawn mower with a briggs and stratton engine is around 123cc.

Replace the spark plug, clean the air filter and put some fresh petrol in it. Also make sure the throttle is opening fully

Its just something to be at in the shed over the winter. Ive a new spark plug on the way thanks to ebay , it was never replaced I was told and last night she wasnt firing at all. Throttle is opening fully and shes getting a fairly high revs when not driving but when you put her into forward the revs die down a good bit and while its nippy enough doing short bursts its just slow on hills. Not big hills even, slow gradual ones that youd cycle easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

It's good to have a project to keep yourself amused and away from swmbo! If it's a been sat a while have you cleaned the fuel system, could be gummed up or filter clogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

101sean wrote: »
    It's good to have a project to keep yourself amused and away from swmbo! If it's a been sat a while have you cleaned the fuel system, could be gummed up or filter clogged.

Im lookin forward to it :) I havent done a whole lot with the engine yet except replace the spark plug yesterday and adjust the idle speed so she ticks over a bit better. It does need a good clean Id say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement