Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Station passover ireland

Options
  • 08-10-2013 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello Guys,

Just wondering about the space station viewing in ireland

I got the below information from Nasa Space station Website

Where would be the best location in dublin to view this and also what date would be the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Best location in Dublin would be anywhere with a clear view of the sky, particularly looking south as that's where you'll see the ISS passing over.

The apparent height of the ISS varies with each pass, a good site to look at is http://heavens-above.com/ where you can select your location on a map and it will give you the dates/times of visible passes and a star chart indicating where you will see the ISS in the sky.

It's easy to see - so long as its a clear evening the station will be visible - it looks like a very big, bright star moving from west to east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I seen a bright moving star last night which was quite low and was definitely south, but was moving in from the east coast heading west, wonder if that is what I saw, it seemed to be quite low and I could see a huge tail on it, I'm sure it could have been a meteor also, which would make more sense to me, it was at about midnight last night anyway, if that narrows it down.
    Was something else to see, unlike any other meteor I have seen before due to the bright tail which followed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

shanered wrote: »
    I seen a bright moving star last night which was quite low and was definitely south, but was moving in from the east coast heading west, wonder if that is what I saw, it seemed to be quite low and I could see a huge tail on it, I'm sure it could have been a meteor also, which would make more sense to me, it was at about midnight last night anyway, if that narrows it down.
    Was something else to see, unlike any other meteor I have seen before due to the bright tail which followed it.

The ISS was high overhead around 11.20pm and 1am last night according to Stellarium, but was eclipsed on both passes, so you wouldn't have been able to see it. The ISS would not leave a trail as well.

The Draconids meteor shower is peaking between last night and tonight, so what you saw could have been apart of that. The shower peaks after sunset, but is not expected to be that spectacular this year.

On a separate note, is anyone not receiving email updates about the ISS from NASA? Could it be because of the Government shutdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I reckon it would be the reason alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Just watched it pass over. Incredibly bright even though its still only dusk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Check out the Iridium flares (http://heavens-above.com/) too... you'd be amazed at how bright they can be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Will you see any more with a telescope?
    Tuesday October 22nd, see ISS at:

7:23pm: See ISS high up in South. Be sure to watch this one for a few minutes before and after this time, as you will get to see a SPACE CHASE with the undocked Cygnus spacecraft!
    8:59pm: The ISS passes again.
    Every time you see ISS please email us at iss@astronomy.ie so we can report your sighting in our magazine report!

http://www.astronomy.ie/iss.php

http://www.thejournal.ie/space-chase-iss-ireland-1141775-Oct2013/
    IF YOU WANT to see something special tonight, look skywards at 7.24pm.
    If the skies stay clear, you’ll see the International Space Station locked in a ‘space chase’ while undocking a cargo craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the 8.59 pass was pretty crap. i didnt see the chasing craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nevouvapour

download an android app called iss detector from the play store, its free and you will never miss a pass again. Unless of course its cloudy.Fab app and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Here is an amazing image of Ireland and the U.K. from the I.S.S. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Here is an amazing image of Ireland and the U.K. from the I.S.S. :)

You can just make out the Phoenix Park in that glow that is Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Time: Wed Oct 30th 6:21 AM, Visible: 4 min,

Max Height: 68°, Appears: 15° above WSW, Disappears: 40° above E (from Killarney/Tralee)

Check with spotthestation at nasa.gov for info in your part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

amadain wrote: »
    Time: Wed Oct 30th 6:21 AM, Visible: 4 min,

Max Height: 68°, Appears: 15° above WSW, Disappears: 40° above E (from Killarney/Tralee)

Check with spotthestation at nasa.gov for info in your part of the country.

Resurrection of a 6 year old Zombie topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just saw this thread while browsing..

there'll be a bright pass tonight between 5:33 and 5:37, and a few more over the next couple days

https://www.heavens-above.com/PassSummary.aspx?satid=25544

(set your location to Dublin, or wherever...)

Advertisement