Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Courses (Arts) - Post-Primary Ed.

Options
  • 07-10-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,
    I am currently in 6th Yr and I am looking at different college courses to do next year with the eventual hopes of becoming a post-primary teacher.

My guidance counsellor told me to consider an Arts degree where I could have two Major subjects but also have two Minor subjects.

I know how an arts degree works but after you do your H.Dip.Ed your qualified for your two Major subjects but can you do anything with your minor ones are you qulified to teach them to junior cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BlueCat01

does anybody know anything about this?
    I really want to have this sorted soon so that I can focus on studying and studying alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Technically no, they're not recognised. You must study them for at least three years to teach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The minor subjects won't be recognised but after you have qualified as a teacher, you could take extra modules by distance learning, doing modules from a degree on a part time basis and build up credits to register for extra subjects. What you're talking about is a long time off though. You're looking at a 3-4 year degree and a 2 year PDE before you go anywhere. If you are considering the minor subjects as something to build on in the long term, pick ones you can actually teach, i.e. Irish, English, Geography etc not philosophy. Nothing wrong with philosophy as such, but it won't get you teaching hours.

Advertisement