Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA

Options
  • 07-10-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hey Folks,

I am thinking of doing the Microsoft Desktop Certification course (MCSA) but i am looking for some advice:

1. I dont have time to do any of the three day classroom lead training stuff so can I just prepare online myself through resources etc
    2. Do I register with Microsoft and pay them online and what is there price schema?
    3. How long would it take roughly to get the MCSA?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

goalie2 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

I am thinking of doing the Microsoft Desktop Certification course (MCSA) but i am looking for some advice:

1. I dont have time to do any of the three day classroom lead training stuff so can I just prepare online myself through resources etc
    2. Do I register with Microsoft and pay them online and what is there price schema?
    3. How long would it take roughly to get the MCSA?
    Thanks

Hi I just got my MCSA Windows 7
    I took the 70-680 and the 70-685
    You can do it by home studying, use cbt nuggets or http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/free-microsoft-70-680-training/ for the 70-680 exam, buy the a Cert guide book read it
    Take alot of exam prep tests
    I found the 70-680 the harder of the 2 exams due to needing to memorise more of the command line for Deploying Windows.
    Know what Branch Cache, Performance Monitor, Resource Monitor, Networking/VPN are and do,
    Know about File/Folder Encryption and Security, you'll also need to know the basics of Active Directory

All in all it took me 6 months but I took my time. I passed both exams 1st time, If you apply yourself you'll pass them no problem.
    Also if you pass the 70-680 before 31 Jan 2014 you'll receive an MCTS: Configuring Windows 7 cert, this cert cant be obtained after this date. so i'd start with that exam

Exams cost €150 each and you register to do them at https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Hey Crosáidí

Thanks very much for sharing this information with me.
    Would the Windows 8 exams (687, 688) not be more relevant to take now than the Windows 7 ones?
    To get the MSCE in Desktop support you would need to do exams 410, 411, 412, 415 & 416?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Hi OP

I had a thread up recently where I had some similar questions to you - might be worth a look http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057046460

I also recommend checking out www.techexams.net for resources and discussion forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

goalie2 wrote: »
    Hey Crosáidí

Thanks very much for sharing this information with me.
    Would the Windows 8 exams (687, 688) not be more relevant to take now than the Windows 7 ones?
    To get the MSCE in Desktop support you would need to do exams 410, 411, 412, 415 & 416?

It depends on your workplace really, if they have a lot of Win 8 machines than do that. Most places would be Windows 7 with some XP machines.

Those exams will get the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure, I think most people would do the MCSE: Server Infrastructure or MCSE: Messaging, well they're are what I plan on doing in the future

All Windows 7 machines here. So for the Server infrastructure one you would be doing the first three of the desktop infrastructure (410, 411, & 412) but specifically 413 & 414 for server?

Are the costs around the same per exam for the MCSA Windows server 2012 and MSCE Windows 2012?

• Advertisement

The last part on the cost I found the answer myself and yes the are same price.

Mainly the reason I am looking at doing the MCSA is that I got turned down for a Masters course in Information Systems Strategy through Oscail DCU and I was told that if I did some certification courses in the meantime that it would give me a better chance of getting in if I reapply next year.

If I were to do the MCSA in Windows 2012 is there resources handy online that I could use? Also would I need to setup a lab with 2012 server installed on a glorified pc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Krusader wrote: »
    Hi I just got my MCSA Windows 7
    I took the 70-680 and the 70-685
    You can do it by home studying, use cbt nuggets or http://www.professormesser.com/microsoft-70-680/free-microsoft-70-680-training/ for the 70-680 exam, buy the a Cert guide book read it
    Take alot of exam prep tests
    I found the 70-680 the harder of the 2 exams due to needing to memorise more of the command line for Deploying Windows.
    Know what Branch Cache, Performance Monitor, Resource Monitor, Networking/VPN are and do,
    Know about File/Folder Encryption and Security, you'll also need to know the basics of Active Directory

All in all it took me 6 months but I took my time. I passed both exams 1st time, If you apply yourself you'll pass them no problem.
    Also if you pass the 70-680 before 31 Jan 2014 you'll receive an MCTS: Configuring Windows 7 cert, this cert cant be obtained after this date. so i'd start with that exam

Exams cost €150 each and you register to do them at https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspxHi I just got my MCSA Windows 7

What if you pass after that date? I'm sitting my exam in Feb and thought I'd get an MCTS ..? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MCTS qualifications are being retired.

MYOB wrote: »
    MCTS qualifications are being retired.
    Ok, so what do I get for passing the exam, 'well done!'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ability to say you've passed it and count it towards any applicable MCSA. The days of every exam having associated letters is gone.

MYOB wrote: »
    The ability to say you've passed it and count it towards any applicable MCSA. The days of every exam having associated letters is gone.

Cheers man. Bit disappointed to find that out .

Advertisement