Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVidia cop out

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yikes. It flavours my perception of them more negatively over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Trouble is, when Wayland replaces X, only Nvidia are going to support it, ATI are going for Canonical's Mir, so Nvidia could be the only option...problems ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

excollier wrote: »
    Trouble is, when Wayland replaces X, only Nvidia are going to support it, ATI are going for Canonical's Mir, so Nvidia could be the only option...problems ahead

Surely there will be open drivers for ATI cards?

Never thought Id see the day when Nvidia was the only choice of gfx card for a Linux machine.

excollier wrote: »

Awkward Canonical. First unity, now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Is it common knowledge why Windows is limited to three? If it was a Windows OS limitation then I could see the articles point of view but if it was an Nvidia decision on Windows then maintaining feature parity on two different platforms doesn't sound too insidious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

humbert wrote: »
    Is it common knowledge why Windows is limited to three? If it was a Windows OS limitation then I could see the articles point of view but if it was an Nvidia decision on Windows then maintaining feature parity on two different platforms doesn't sound too insidious.

If that were the case then they could easily bring the Windows drivers up to the Linux level --- would make much more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

If that were the case then they could easily bring the Windows drivers up to the Linux level --- would make much more sense.

It's definitely not a Windows limitation. I'm currently running four monitors on Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

On a similar theme ........
    An anonymous reader writes

"NVIDIA was caught removing features from their Linux driver and days later Linux developers have caught and confirmed AMD imposing artificial limitations on their graphics cards in the DVI-to-HDMI adapters that their driver will support. Over years AMD has quietly been adding an extra EEPROM chip to their DVI-to-HDMI adapters that are bundled with Radeon HD graphics cards. Only when these identified adapters are detected via checks in their Windows and Linux Catalyst driver is HDMI audio enabled. If using a third-party DVI-to-HDMI adapter, HDMI audio support is disabled by the Catalyst driver. Open-source Linux developers have found this to be a self-imposed limitation and that the open-source AMD Linux driver will work fine with any DVI-to-HDMI adapter."

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/10/08/1329218/amd-intentionally-added-artificial-limitations-to-their-hdmi-adapters

Jesus. That is really sneaky. Really, really sneaky. :/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Sneaky stuff alright...

In years gone past I would always looks for system with nvidia graphics as it always meant I would have no issues with graphics in linux.

Then I bought a laptop with nVidia Optimus and my bubble was burst - eventually bumblebee/ironhide arrived and I could use the graphics card but in the meantime I had learnt that for most tasks the gpu integrated with the intel processor was plenty powerful enough - Gaming/CAD/Multiple monitors excluded.

Lower power consumption and no need for expensive graphics processors!
    I know what my choice will be for the next laptop I buy.. "None of the Above" !
    I suspect, for laptops at least, the card makers might have shot themselves in the foot demonstrating that in most instances the intel cpu with its IG is all that is required!

• Advertisement
Advertisement