Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap rod for mackerel

Options
  • 07-10-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

I’m newby in fishing so apologies for silly question. Just bought 210cm rod 10-30g with reel to catch some mackerel in Dalkey area (south Dublin). Was on sale in Woodies, price 24 eur.

Was told however, that this rod is not good for sea fishing, rod should be at least 3m length (150g).

Is this true? Is 210cm rod with reel completely useless for mackerel?
    What is a good shop in Dublin to buy cheap rod for mackerel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

210 is very small, and I would wait until next year to buy a rod if its only mackerel your after, they will be gone soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its light alright and probably could only handle a 1oz weight. You might have difficulty hauling in a string of mackerel on feathers if that was your plan

If you're content with just a small lure and a good fight off a fish then you will get some sport with that rod and a mackerel.

I don't know the area you are talking about so unsure if distance casting is required there but if they are close in then your set up will get you a bit of craic alright.

Edit: and yes as gumpy said they will be gone soon too!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Thanks for answers.

My son tried the 210cm rod and main problem was casting. He could not cast far enough, although it might be because he is fishing newbie as well.
    The area is rocky beach opposite to Dalkey island. Can’t say anything about hauling, we’ve gave up, but other people had a good catch of mackerel.

I suppose 210cm rod with 2 hooks should be ok for hauling in 2 mackerels on feathers.
    My understanding that 30g written on the rod is not weight of catch. Another fisherman had 150g written on the rod but he caught 5 mackarels in 1 go, which is much more than 150g.

Casting – how far do you really need to cast from rocks?

How much would proper rod with reeling cost (budget version)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

30g is the casting weight - the recommended maximum weight you should be casting. For mack you'd want 50 at least to get any kind of cast in.

I picked up a rod (50-150) and reel just for mackerel for something like €45 last year if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gumpy2

you could try from the rocks at the park in dalkey i was out that way saturday and still mackerel water is fairly deep around there, you may catch some mackerel or whiting but you would to go very soon or the fish may be gone

• Advertisement
Advertisement