Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TERA Online // TERA Rising

Options
  • 06-10-2013 10:54pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Well, may or may not have noticed but been on somewhat of a F2P Gaming spree having [quite a while ago] quit WoW [Subscription] and moved on to Allods Online [F2P / P2W] for a year or three, of which I also quit...

Then I tried out Age Of Conan (Thread somewhere below) but despite an interesting and promising start to AoC I got a bit disheartened and bored of it as time went on so I don't play it all that much...

Then after watching a vid on YouTube showing a list of F2P MMORPG's I ended up noticing both "Vindictus" and "TERA", or TERA Online, or TERA Rising (I'll just call it TERA Rising) - After a long and frustrating attempt at installing and patching, I finally got to play it though again, being a bit disheartened with gaming in general I uninstalled at level 20 but am grateful I did seeing as I didn't notice it was the US Server / Client anyways... Vindictus also proved to be a lot of fun and very polished but a bit less endearing than TERA so far.

For some reason I wanted to give it a second try - And I did so [EU This time, thankfully]... And so far, absolutely no regrets... What a polished and beautiful, bright and colorful MMORPG this is turning out to be so far... And the combat is also quite refreshing.

It looks good, it sounds good... And it plays pretty good!

Just wondered are there others who are playing this? Compared to AoC, this game has quite a hefty amount of activity, playerbase wise, far more than AoC does. It has a few not-so-pleasing quirks, and also relies heavily on 'sexiness' at least as far as costume sales go (But what game doesn't do that these days, anyways) but overall I'm really enjoying it so far.

Currently level 32 Lancer on Arcadia EU Server - AFAIR level cap is currently 60 so halfway at least.

Got a video of a basic fight vs a regular elite [BAM, in Tera terms] just to give an idea of Tank/Melee combat, looks and sound.

If you like your bright and chirpy F2P MMORPG's I'd give it a "Try this out" recommendation - It also has an exceptionally beautiful soundtrack of which has been released on CD, either to be bought or as a perk sent to subscribers (Not sure which).

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yep played it for the free month when i bought the game, got Lancer to 35 or so and the healer class, cleric i believe to 50.
    A few more low lvl alts too.
    Combat is refreshing but i i got bored of the grind.
    Went back to it for a week or so when it went F2P, got bored again but was playing solo,maybe i need a guild.
    Great looking game, great engine, great combat,cant put my finger on exactly why i got bored of it.
    Quite enjoyed the Lancer but that big pole thingy just feels wrong, and you cant replace it with a sword or anything.
    I might reinstall for the craic as i got bored of FFxiv fairly rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

played a slayer to reasonably high level - very much enjoyed it :) I played it much more then gw2 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Polar101

I tried this in February, really liked the game until about level 20, but having to kill dozens of monsters got boring. I tried it again a few weeks ago and while it was a fun couple of hours, I haven't logged on again.

I guess I got my money's worth, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Excellent combat but a big fat meh to everything else. The levelling / quest system is some of the worst in MMO history. Got bored to tears around 45 and couldn't go any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Such a typical korean grindfest here, that I'm not sure how this game can be viewed in a good light at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

To be fair it's barely any more grindy than the more common MMORPG's I've played, to which I've played plenty. The core issue is that all the quests are, quite literally, the same.

GW2 is your answer to this. Why not being a huge success after all for various reasons, developers at least tried to put a different game model into MMORPG. Quite successfully, I would say.

While this one looks like Lineage 2 copycat. Am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

XVII wrote: »
    GW2 is your answer to this. Why not being a huge success after all for various reasons, developers at least tried to put a different game model into MMORPG. Quite successfully, I would say.

While this one looks like Lineage 2 copycat. Am I wrong?

You'r right about Tera being a copycat of Lineage 2, as far as I know there was even a lawsuit against Tera saying that they stole files from Lineage 3.

Though the game is quite grindy I really enjoyed playing it, I just wish there were more things to do once you hit max level.

Advertisement