Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptismal Registers with "X's" beside names

Options
  • 06-10-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey all ,

Just wondering whether someone knows what the "X's refer to in the Parish Batismal Registers , have a relative on the attached with X beside their name..

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sometimes an X beside a name is the mark of a person who may have been unable to read or write themselves.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

In the baptismal registers that I have looked at (Cork and Ross) an X or a star or some similar symbol indicated "illegitimate" births. There was always an explanation at the top of the page -- "births marked thus are,," etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hermy wrote: »
    Sometimes an X beside a name is the mark of a person who may have been unable to read or write themselves.

Agreed but not in this case as the entries in a parish register are not done by the individuals but by the priest/clerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would say the 'X' would be mainly applied on the bottom of a form requiring a signature i.e.census form when the resident can't write their name, or on a marriage certificate when any of the wedding group, bride, groom, witnesses, can't write. In the case of a baptism, I'd say the 'X' was understood by the priest/s alone, it was his own way of explanation maybe. There may have been an indication of the meaning on the first page, or another page of the book, or just in his own mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry folks - think I got the wrong end of the stick.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement