Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help Needed to Solve Broadband Mystery

Options
  • 05-10-2013 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm on UPC in Dublin in shared accommodation with four users. Our monthly upload stats have gone from 7GB in May to over 700GB in September, leading to a warning letter from UPC. UPC suggests its someone using file sharing torrents but everyone says they're not. UPC says its 'legitimate usage' but so far has not been specific, despite being asked.

We stream TV etc but that only amounts to about 250GB per month, so usage on the account seems wildly out of kilter. We've just changed our router password.

Has anyone any experience of something similar and what was the outcome? Did you trace the usage?

Cheers
    Max :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its either somebody streaming video to the likes of twich, file sharing, or somethings infected and constantly uploading.

Get everyone in the living room, everyone open their laptops, see who has a bittorent client installed. My money is on it being that, usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Could it be that aomeone possibly downloaded files off bittorrent etc but forgot to remove them, so they has been seeding away in the background for the last few weeks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Cheers guys. I guess that's what UPC was suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I've traced usage before using etherape it runs on linux, it gives you an in your face graphical representation of who is using all the data. It needs some tweaking to get the most out of it as it might not see all the traffic on a switch but if everyone is connecting wirelessly I think it would show up exactly whats going on.

http://etherape.sourceforge.net/ and it installs easily on cruchbang http://crunchbang.org/ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

On a Windows machine you can run AirSnare http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/ and it will let you know exactly who is connected to you network, there's always a chance that someone is downloading on a laptop that they are not disclosing. You can get similar info off the router but AirSnare gives it in a handy format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm hedging bets that it's the butler in the drawing room with the laptop....

Advertisement