Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thrown dart

Options
  • 05-10-2013 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

When marking a game last night one of the players made an attempt to throw the dart on his release the dart slipped from his grip and he caught it again I was of the opinion that would have been the dart thrown but the said player proceeded to throw the dart and claiming his score any opinions on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I would concur with your opinion and disallow the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 davy28

Is say we are not the only people who would have the same opinion as I'm only new to the league I'm playing I didn't see fit to argue the point as the player hadn't the courtesy to call the throw on himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Yep, once he made an attempt to throw the dart and released it the dart is deemed to have been thrown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

These are the rules from the BDO about the throw.
    It would seem that if it was a deliberate attempt to throw (10.02) then it counts as a throw and shouldn't have been retaken.

10.00 THROW
    10.01 A player shall throw darts from a standing position, excepting only in those circumstances when a physical disability, or physical injury requires a player to adopt a non-standing position.
    (IE: a wheelchair, or a similar form of support.)
    10.02 All darts must be deliberately thrown, one at a time, by, and from, the player’s hand.
    All darts must be thrown with the needlepoint aimed towards the face of the dartboard.
    If a dart is not thrown in this manner then the ‘throw’ will be declared a ‘foul throw’ and
    will not count in that respective leg, set, or match.
    10.03 A throw must consist of a maximum of ‘three darts’, unless a leg, set, or match is completed in less than ‘three darts’.
    10.04 If a player ‘touches’ any dart, which is in the dartboard, during a throw, then that throw shall be deemed to have been completed.
    10.05 Any dart bouncing off, or falling out of, the dartboard, does not count, and shall not be re-thrown.
    10.06 A player deliberately abusing the dartboard when retrieving darts at the end of a throw will be given a verbal
    warning by the match referee. Another warning will be given to the player if a second incident occurs in the
    same match. If a third incident occurs in the same match then the player in question will forfeit that
    respective leg, and possibly the match in question.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭The Rooster

davy28 wrote: »
    When marking a game last night one of the players made an attempt to throw the dart on his release the dart slipped from his grip and he caught it again I was of the opinion that would have been the dart thrown but the said player proceeded to throw the dart and claiming his score any opinions on this

If he has been able to catch it, then my view is that it has clearly slipped before his attempted throw. I would have thought that's a no brainer and would be very annoyed if someone told me that it was an attempt to throw it at the dartboard.

Where is gets a little more ambiguous is when it hits the floor. The marker has to decide whether it was a slip or a throw. My general rule is that if it goes from hand direct to floor, and its still within reaching distance, then its more likely to have been a pure slip rather than a throw. But if it goes further than that its more likely to be a throw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

Ha, after reading 10.02 i thought of Ronnie Baxter's throw. His darts are thrown with the point aimed at the wall/floor somewhere to the left of the board.

Anyway, it sounds like the dart slipped on release. Doubt he'd have caught it if it was 'deliberately thrown'. As The Rooster said above, I wouldn't be too impressed if a marker made an issue of it.

Advertisement