Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 39: Mexican Fajitas

Options
  • 05-10-2013 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

Apologies its a little late :)

The paste:
    Ingredients
    1 shallot (or small onion)
    3 cloves of garlic
    1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
    1 tblsp tomato puree
    3 tblsp rapeseed (or other flavourless) oil
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp chilli powder
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp coriander
    1 tsp mustard
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tblsp white wine vinegar
    1 tblsp soy sauce

Heat the oil gently in a pot over a medium heat.

Grate the garlic and finley dice the shallot and add them to the pot.

When the shallot is softened but not yet browning add in all the spices, herbs and the sugar, and stir until you have a dark paste.

Add in the white wine vinegar, soy and the tomatoes and bring to the boil.

Turn it down to the lowest heat and let it simmer down to a paste, keep an eye on it and stir it occasionally to prevent it burning at the bottom. This should take about 25 min.

When its done let it cool and pop it into a jar. You can cook with it the same day but its better a few days later. It should keep for a week in the fridge.

The tortillas:

250g plain flour
    175ml water
    3 tbls olive oil
    pinch of salt

In a large bowl, combine flour and salt.
    Stir in water and oil.
    Turn onto a floured surface and knead into a smooth dough.
    Divide the dough into 8 and roll each one out to the size of a side plate.
    Cook for 1min each side on a non stick pan.
    Put them aside until needed.

Now for cooking the fajitas:

Meat sliced or minced (entirely up to you, I usually use chicken fillets)

What else you add to the pan is also entirely up to you, depending on your personal taste. I add garlic, 2 peppers, an onion and some fresh chilli.

Fry off your meat and then add your paste when the meat is nearly cooked along with your veg. When everything is cooked to your liking add a splash of lime and serve.

Serve with cheese, jalapenos, guac and some salsa (see the Carnitas recipe :D)

Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Can't wait to try this, I've been wondering what was needed to make up a fajita mix.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've been looking for a fajita recipe for so long!

Guess what's on for dinner tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Right, made them twice - once with tomato paste (had no regular tins of tomatoes) and once with fresh cherry tomatoes (again, had no regular tins of tomatoes).

The tomato paste didn't work out too well. As you would expect, too "tomatoey" (though, lovely kick off them).

With the cherry tomatoes - absolutely gorgeous. I also pureed the sauce when it had reduced down. A new staple in the Dunne household. And a big shout out to the tortillas themselves - disturbingly easy to make. I won't be buying Old El Paso Fajita dinner kits ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Right, made them twice - once with tomato paste (had no regular tins of tomatoes) and once with fresh cherry tomatoes (again, had no regular tins of tomatoes).

The tomato paste didn't work out too well. As you would expect, too "tomatoey" (though, lovely kick off them).

With the cherry tomatoes - absolutely gorgeous. I also pureed the sauce when it had reduced down. A new staple in the Dunne household. And a big shout out to the tortillas themselves - disturbingly easy to make. I won't be buying Old El Paso Fajita dinner kits ever again!

Glad to hear you like it :)

Advertisement