Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of comments on my website-what are the alternatives for reader engagement

Options
  • 05-10-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have a small local news website based on wordpress that is quite popular. However, the comments have become problematic and I think the majority of readers are sick of reading other people's BS opinions too. So I'm doing away with comments and hope to replace them with other forms of reader engagement, but the only other ideas I have are weekly reader polls and a 'submit a story' contact form.

Are there any other widgets on WP for this sort of thing? Or do you have any other ideas from other sites you can think of? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Use Facebook connect for commenting. People may span less if their real name and photo is beside it.

Alternatively force registration for commenting. You may need to provide more of an incentive though depending on whether you think people would just not bother

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can also hold comments for approval before they're published.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Le Chef

Yes, I'm moderating all comments right now. But that just means I have to read them all and some of them are awful. I'm really looking for alternatives to comments. There was a plugin call Urtak which allowed you to pose a yes or no question at the end of a story, but it's been discontinued. I'd like something that allows people to voice an opinion, but focuses it so they cant go off on a tangent and take over the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement