Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to London

Options
  • 04-10-2013 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am living in Vancouver at the moment and intend on returning to Ireland or the UK in May.

What is the job situation for software developers in London? Also, are the wages fairly decent? The cost of living here is really high and wages don't reflect that at all here, so would definitely consider London if the wages offset the cost!

I would also consider Newcastle as a place to live.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cointreau

Hi!

I'm currently living with 3 software developers in London - One is a junior developer and is on about 25k - the other two are somewhere between 40k and 50k, and have several years experience under their belts. None of them have had much trouble finding work, but obviously I'm speaking from a tiny sample size! It's probably worth having a browse through jobsites to get an idea as to wages for your level of experience, if you haven't already (i.e. http://www.jobsite.co.uk/jobs/software-developer/london). I could ask my flatmates for other good job boards if you like?

I don't know how Vancouver compares to London but the cost of living is high here. You can get by alright on 25k, for instance, (I do!) but I flat share and couldn't afford to rent a flat on my own any time soon. However, it still leaves me enough to go out a few times a month and I can save a little bit too.

Hope this helps a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Cointreau wrote: »
    Hi!

I'm currently living with 3 software developers in London - One is a junior developer and is on about 25k - the other two are somewhere between 40k and 50k, and have several years experience under their belts. None of them have had much trouble finding work, but obviously I'm speaking from a tiny sample size! It's probably worth having a browse through jobsites to get an idea as to wages for your level of experience, if you haven't already (i.e. http://www.jobsite.co.uk/jobs/software-developer/london). I could ask my flatmates for other good job boards if you like?

I don't know how Vancouver compares to London but the cost of living is high here. You can get by alright on 25k, for instance, (I do!) but I flat share and couldn't afford to rent a flat on my own any time soon. However, it still leaves me enough to go out a few times a month and I can save a little bit too.

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers for the help!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I moved over from Dublin in July, have a year and a half as a dev and 2 as QA before that, am on 33k as a Python web developer. About to move from a house share into a 2 bedroom apartment with my OH. Rent is really the pinch point, particularly in zone 2.

Wages really depend on what career level you're at, and what kind of work you want to do. There's a lot of financial sector work which pays well, but you'll never leave the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I moved over from Dublin in July, have a year and a half as a dev and 2 as QA before that, am on 33k as a Python web developer. About to move from a house share into a 2 bedroom apartment with my OH. Rent is really the pinch point, particularly in zone 2.

Wages really depend on what career level you're at, and what kind of work you want to do. There's a lot of financial sector work which pays well, but you'll never leave the office.

Cheers for the reply. That's fairly good wages! I'm on about $20k a year less than that in Vancouver and I'd be fairly sure that rent is probably the same if not more expensive.

I have 4 and a half years experience in php development and some mobile and social network stuff too. Looks like it's europe again for me!

Advertisement