Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price region for bespoke plywood medium-sized kitchen?

Options
  • 04-10-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

(I'm not looking for carpenters to PM me about this, I want to have a discussion about and hear expected costs for my query.)

I am having my house renovated and we would prefer a plywood kitchen (possibly with white formica veneer worktop (not edge) and door faces).

We need to set aside a PC sum for this work (excluding integrated appliances). The kitchen is to be simple in design and construction.

What would be a realistic amount to spend on, for example a kitchen like these below images?

For size:

Harty%20Place%20View%2001%20Culligan%20Architects.jpg

For style:

tumblr_mhug6oxvG71qg9vz4o1_500.jpg

67757f6e8700e7c26c41b077ba7ab28a.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

sarkozy wrote: »
    I am having my house renovated and we would prefer a plywood kitchen (possibly with white formica veneer worktop (not edge) and doors.

How's the pm's going.

This paragraph above is a little confusing. Can you explain more.

To be honest is kinda hard to stick a rough price, size, doors and fixtures and fittings will play a big part in your price.

But at a guess from your pictures anywhere from 5-10,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

No PMs so far. Sorry, it's just in the past, I've looked on advice for things and received too many prospectors fishing for work for my liking.

This is a figure I would have assumed. What I mean is, for example, a countertop to have a formica surface with the striated edges showing and, likewise, the doors to have a formica front with the edges also showing the plywood striations/layers.

I'm unsure if you can get sheets of ply with Formica on them I know that you get them veneered alright. In my head Formica is a chipboard base press with a plastic cover. Ie work tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Formica is available in sheet form which can be glued to plywood chipboard etc, its still one of the toughest surfaces around, used it on shop counters where it got plenty of hardship.
    If using plywood use birch ply as its made to a consistent quality , is very stable and has more layers than regular ply,a lot of which is rubbish .
    Regarding a price its hard to say without more detail but 5-7000 would do a lot of units/worktop without appliances stainless steel etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Try and find phenolic coated plywood. Its got a tough resin based surface on both sides. I've read about it but never had any need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

recipio wrote: »
    Try and find phenolic coated plywood. Its got a tough resin based surface on both sides. I've read about it but never had any need for it.
    If you do go for this please avoid phenolic film faced plywood - it is mainly used for shuttering and has films that can be stripped away after each use - giving a clean surface for the next job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I wouldn't. It's formica or bust.

If your looking for a very good job done. At a very reasonable price send me a pm.

Plenty of choice and plenty of deals to be had you just need to know where to look.

Free Qoute obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 frickfrack

Hi there, sorry to piggyback on your post sarkozy, but I've been looking for someone to do a couple of standalone units in the same finish and was hoping that I could get an idea of the cost of building a drawer unit and also one that encloses a double fridge. Kudos on having the same taste as me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

frickfrack wrote: »
    Hi there, sorry to piggyback on your post sarkozy, but I've been looking for someone to do a couple of standalone units in the same finish and was hoping that I could get an idea of the cost of building a drawer unit and also one that encloses a double fridge. Kudos on having the same taste as me;)

Hi frickfrack PM sent to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

depending on size ,similar to the first pictues its a 4000 to 6000
    with laminate tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

I make custom kitchens and furniture for a living (not fishing) and to be honest you cant buy the sort of doors and worktops your talking about off the shelf so going by the pictures you posted if in a relative size you would be talking 7- 9 grand ... count your blessings if you get it cheaper . Certainly in my opinion you wont get that for under 7 . Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 zebrano.96

its not a complex job .worked with similar materials before
    as long as its a standard size room and not wrapped around a room on 4 walls
    and using standard fitting components.it could be done for that.but thats a good price and yes :)he would be lucky to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Edmond_Dantes

looks about 4-6k, looks really nice we have similar in our holiday home

Advertisement