Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer locator map

Options
  • 04-10-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Looking for a map of pubs that sell non macrobrewed beers (bottle and/or tap). Beoir used to have one, but I can’t seem to find it any more. If there are several, which is the best/most up to date/easiest to use etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Beoir moved servers recently so the map hasn't been transferred over yet but if you download the BeoirFinder app you can view it on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

irish_goat wrote: »
    Beoir moved servers recently so the map hasn't been transferred over yet but if you download the BeoirFinder app you can view it on your phone.

Thanks for the info, but I'm a dinosaur :o and don't have a phone that can do that. Is there anything online?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This is rather selective, but might be the nearest thing there is until the Beoir map is rebuilt.

Ok cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

• Advertisement

***BUMP***

Anyone know if the Beoir map is accurate? I'll be staying in West Cork for a couple of weeks this summer, and it seems to be a bit of a desert. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

When I was in Amsterdam I used google maps, just searched 'beer'

Doesn't work for me, MonkstownHoop. I did discover that there's a town in Devon called 'Beer' though!

It wouldn't necessarily show the places that sell craft stuff, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Lucena wrote: »
    ***BUMP***

Anyone know if the Beoir map is accurate? I'll be staying in West Cork for a couple of weeks this summer, and it seems to be a bit of a desert. :(

It's only as good as those that contribute to it. If there's no Beoiry people down that way then that could be the problem. :(

You might have to do the legwork yourself!

You could try contacting some of the micros in that general direction for a list of stockists?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Doesn't work for me, MonkstownHoop. I did discover that there's a town in Devon called 'Beer' though!

It wouldn't necessarily show the places that sell craft stuff, either.

Suppose it worked over there showing brewery and brew pubs ect

• Advertisement

***BUMP***

It's accurate but relies on members adding pubs and restaurants in as they find them selling craft beer.

There's a few Corkonians on the Beoir forum so you might get a few answers if you ask there.

And of course, feel free to update the app yourself if you do find places when you're there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

irish_goat wrote: »
    And of course, feel free to update the app yourself if you do find places when you're there. ;)

How do you do that? All I can see is the map and a list.

Good question BMJD!

Also is there a way to update the info to show that a pub has no craft beer, as opposed a pub having no info on it which could currently mean either no craft beer or merely that the pub has never been entered into the system?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This stuff's better on the Beoir forum, but...
    BMJD wrote: »
    How do you do that? All I can see is the map and a list.
    Log in on the homepage and click to the Directory, and if you're a member there'll be Add and Edit buttons.
    Also is there a way to update the info to show that a pub has no craft beer
    No. The idea is that if the pub is listed you'll find beer from independent Irish breweries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

may have to do it old school....post where about you will be in west cork and hope to get some replies. there is a new brewery The west cork brewery. think they are based in baltimore. but htere is another on the way in clonakilty or skibbereen i think. also you have a distillery in union hall area drombeg

Ballylickey, 5 km north of Bantry.

There seems to be only one pub, the Ouvane Falls Inn, and from the website it seems fairly geared to tourists, so I'd imagine beer from local breweries wouldn't be high on the agenda. No mention of it on the website anyway.

Might have to tip into Bantry at some stage, but it'd be nice to have a 'local' within staggering distance of my gaff!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Ballylickey, 5 km north of Bantry.

There seems to be only one pub, the Ouvane Falls Inn, and from the website it seems fairly geared to tourists, so I'd imagine beer from local breweries wouldn't be high on the agenda. No mention of it on the website anyway.

Might have to tip into Bantry at some stage, but it'd be nice to have a 'local' within staggering distance of my gaff!

Don't know the area very well, but if you are in Bantry at some stage, I would suggest heading into "Ma Murphys" in the centre of town. (no web site, but they do have facebook page)
    Has Mountain Man Green Bullet on tap and a selection of craft in bottles.
    Real old school pub. Do off licensee sales as well

Mills Inn in Ballyvourney (? spelling) are the crowd behind 9White Deer, so I assume they will be had that on draft. Bit of a hike from Bantry but if your traveling around and cross country via Gougane Barra you might be close

West Cork Brewery are based out of Casey Hotel in Baltimore but that is a very long way from Bantry.

BTW...check out Mannings Food Emporium...been a while since I was there, but great artisan food etc.

(oh and if passing through Cork City on the way, you should pop into Bradleys, one of the best off licenses aroun)

Ok, I'm going to try something a little off-beat and contact the Ouvane Falls Inn by e-mail, as phoning always runs the risk of someone who hasn't a clue answering.

I just need to find a way to word the question "Have you got proper craft beer" in a way that won't automatically get the answer: "Yes absolutely, we totally do have that, that thing you asked about, absolutely totally do, and we're looking forward to seeing you in our bar". :D

I just need to find a way to word the question "Have you got proper craft beer" in a way that won't automatically get the answer: "Yes absolutely, we totally do have that, that thing you asked about, absolutely totally do, and we're looking forward to seeing you in our bar". :D

I do it the odd time and literally just ask if they have any craft beer. If they do they'll normally rhyme off the brands they have and if they don't they get a response saying I'll be going elsewhere.

Well, I got a very quick response from the pub.

"Hi Lucena,

We are currently stocking Dungarvan black rock Irish stout, helvick gold Irish blonde ale, copper coast Irish red ale, Maddens mellow armagh cider and stonewell cider. Thanks for your inquiry."

If they still have those beers in July, it's party time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement