Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what are essential things

Options
  • 04-10-2013 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I'm very much interesting in cycling from childhood, didnt got a proper chance. Now i have purchased new cycle but i think there are lot many things that need to understand before get started. Plz help me out..!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what do you want to do? Commuting? Racing? Training? etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If you plan on doing spins over 30km then I'd get some padded cycling shorts. Preferably bib-shorts IMO - the ones with straps that go over your shoulder so that they don't need to be tight at the waist to stay up. The stupid looking straps get hidden by your jersey anyway.

As it's coming up to winter you might actually want to get bib-leggings (big-tights, whatever they're called?) instead. Alternative is bib-shorts and some removable leg warmers.

Front and back lights are IMO essential. If you're cycling in the country-side after dark then you'll need really good ones - plenty of threads on here. If you're only cycling in daylight or in town then you only need cheap ones IMO.

A good lock. If you'll be leaving your bike anywhere then you need a really good lock. Don't get a cable lock - however thick&strong it looks, it's a piece of crap. A good u-lock. One of the new-york ones from Kryptonite or the equivalent Asus (granit IIRC?). If your bike is cheaper or you're only leaving it outside a shop while you go inside then the Kryptonite evolution minis are also decent and much lighter.

If you're doing long spins on your own then you need a way to carry spare tube, puncture repair kit, your phone, mini-tool (imo), pump (or CO2 gear) and cash. You can put these in a cycling jersey back pocket or you can get a saddle bag. That's a small bag that hangs under your bike's saddle. Pump can attach to bike. It's easier IMO to put the rest in a saddle bag and leave your jersey pockets free for food or a light jacket.

If all you're doing is cycling a few KM to work and back then you need nothing except lights & lock. If you get good puncture resistent tyres you can even ignore all the puncture fixing stuff and just accept that maybe once a year on average you may end up walking with your bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

- Don't cycle too close to the edge of the road/kerb/ditch. You have no room to manoeuvre.
    - Practice checking over your shoulder. Vital to be able to get a good picture of what's behind you.
    - If you come to a big junction you are not familiar with, or are slightly worried about (like a right turn), hop off the bike and walk it across on your first few attempts to get used to the flow of the traffic there.
    - spinning a slightly too low gear is preferable to grinding a slightly too big gear.
    - don't try to change your gear and stand up on the pedals at the same time, can cause fall-y off-y problems.

- following from quozl's excellent advice above, invest in lights and a really good lock before anything else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The rain always looks worse than it actually is.

Never feel bad if you couldn't go as far as you'd hoped. Any time at all spent in the saddle is good!

Pump your tyres frequently, and learn how to fix puncture.

Bring water.

Off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Another essential thing is to learn how to use the search in this forum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 clauren46

thanks for reply..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Big Pockets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

the right clothing. If you are comfortable, warm and dry you will enjoy your cycles a lot more. Gel padded gloves and a pair of cycling glasses also a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Learn to Love a headwind! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Learn to Love a headwind! :)

And one that continues to be a headwind despite going north/south/east/west as appropriate!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

check_six wrote: »
    -
    - spinning a slightly too low gear is preferable to grinding a slightly too big gear.

This! Your knees will thank you. Most beginners to road cycling grind along at a low cadence killing there legs fast. Spin to win.

-A track pump is essential to pumping your wheels up to at least 100PSI so you avoid getting pinch punctures from the rim being squashed against the tube when you hit a pothole.

- Avoid potholes.

- Give other cyclists the secret salute.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Briando wrote: »
    This! Your knees will thank you. Most beginners to road cycling grind along at a low cadence killing there legs fast. Spin to win.

-A track pump is essential to pumping your wheels up to at least 100PSI so you avoid getting pinch punctures from the rim being squashed against the tube when you hit a pothole.

- Avoid potholes.

- Give other cyclists the secret salute.
    Ok Newbie here.
    What is the secret salute? :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PLUG71 wrote: »
    What is the secret salute? :D
    ... a secret, and will forever remain that way;)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

balance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Secret salute is not a secret but i,m not telling you what it is :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Carpenter wrote: »
    Secret salute is not a secret but i,m not telling you what it is :D
    But that's because you don't know what it is, as you're not in on the secret ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Beasty wrote: »
    But that's because you don't know what it is, as you're not in on the secret ;)
    AWWWWWW I thought I was i,m making up my own .

Advertisement