Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on photo

Options
  • 04-10-2013 5:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

Can some the the excellent photographers on this forum please give me some advice on how to achieve the same effect seen in this photo? I really like it and this is the type of photo I would like to take.

I have a Nikkon 5200 with a 50mm prime lens and 18mm - 200mm lens.

I would really like to know what sort of camera settings and lens to use to be able to get this kind of effect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ( I am a newbie!)

Many thanks.

19AABB589DD84AB994DB7BE66DFEA6A6-0000350581-0003384643-00800L-CECF4051EDCA49A28190A465C10C8A7C.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

what exactly do you mean by 'this effect' ? it's probably a normal or moderate wide angle up close , with what appears to be a spot of fill flash, though that could be light reflecting off the water, hard to tell. There's a fish involved , that much is clear. Though actually, in the vein of that old ham and egg thing, the fish looks more 'committed'.
    Also you will probably need some waterproof pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Come on no need for sarcasm.

Use a flash to remove shadows, use the lens at around 50 mm , afterwards in photoshop/lightroom/GIMP apply a monochrome with slight sepia affect, that should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

the_monkey wrote: »
    Come on no need for sarcasm.

Use a flash to remove shadows, use the lens at around 50 mm , afterwards in photoshop/lightroom/GIMP apply a monochrome with slight sepia affect, that should do it.

What sarcasm ? I basically said what you just said. It'd help if the OP actually qualified what he or she MEANT by 'this effect'. Is it the B&W treatment ? The look of the fill flash ? The blurry background ? More specifics are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would really like to know what sort of camera settings and lens to use to be able to get this kind of effect.
    You can turn on black and white in camera but it more than likely won't give you this affect. This was done afterwards in a program like photoshop or lightroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Fast lens , good angle for the light and post processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Definitely fill flash and not reflected light from the water; you can see it from the direction of the shadows under his right ear and in the folds of his left trouser leg. In fact it's a bit overdone IMHO (despite the apparently clear skies, there doesn't seem to be any direct sunlight at the time of taking the photo). Probably a 50mm lens at a wide aperture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Thanks guys for the really helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

This would be a helpful place to learn about balancing the ambient/natural light and the flash: Strobist. It can be a bit wordy at times, but if you stick with it, there's no better resource online!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Don't forget your waders or wellies for getting into the water also :)

Like Peckerhead said... its a bit overdone in my opinion. There is a time and a place for sepia and modern sports images like this are not it.

For me a picture like this should be in colour for a start. It looks like it was a nice day, so it would have been nice to see the blue sky and the colour of the fish.

As already stated though, a shot like the above can be made stright in camera by setting your picture style to sepia ( see manual) and ensuring that you have a flash.

+1 on strobist website also, great stuff there.

Advertisement