Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of japanese gaming

Options
  • 03-10-2013 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

It has shown this generation that Japanese gaming has not been as prolific as in past generations as alot of Japanese developers have moved away from consoles and have paid more attention to handhelds and smartphones and those that have stayed on the home console side vast amount of great franchises seemed to have lost its strived than previous instalments which to me I personally put the finger towards the publishers instead of staying true to what they know best decide to make western like shooters to cash in on the call of duty ground to get similar numbers which leaves fans of the series with a game that feels like it wants to be what its not nor shouldn't be , not to point any fingers at anybody cough cough Resident evil 6.

So my question is where does Japanese gaming go from here with the ps4 and xbox one to the future onwards ?

What brought this topic up again for me we have seen big juggernauts in the past that have defined video games up to now , Companies like Square enix who have decided to move to mobile near entirely , konami who without the mgs series , castlevania and pro evolution would merely cast away into the shadows.

Sega sure they truly ended when the dreamcast died but have closed off european and australian offices last year and just recently laid off majority of Sega of america team aswell.

Last but not least Capcom that has just been reported while back that they only have 152 million in the bank. that is awful for a company of their size.

They to also laid off majority of their team in america and it has been reported today that half of capcom europe is gone aswell.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/03/capcom-europe-to-cut-more-than-50-of-its-staff/

Capcom are screwed and I cannot really blame anyone but them which I really don't want to.

What I am seeing for next gen paints a bigger picture from what i have been seeing this generation for the last 2-3 years.

It seems to me Free to play is going to be the big thing which can lead to good and bad.

Namco Bandai , a developer I truly have kinda be given me a hint as to what is to be expected with their fighting games like they have announced a soul caliber online aswell as tekken revolution online aswell. I am wondering ill this be the norm for fighters next generation ? I suppose it seems its to be expected from both Western and Japanese development but I am curious to see what is to hold for the future.

Anyways I think this is long enough feel free to agree or disagree

Have a great weekend guys and ladies :D

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Honestly, I think it's just as big as it has been. New companies rising from the ashes and more and more niche titles released to the west. I can't wait to see what they will bring to the table next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Handheld and mobile gaming is quite healthy. Look at how well Altus are doing, despite the parent company going bust. I'd be more worried about western companies and the rising cost of game development. The make a hit or go bust model isn't healthy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Last but not least Capcom that has just been reported while back that they only have 152 million in the bank. that is awful for a company of their size.

They to also laid off majority of their team in america and it has been reported today that half of capcom europe is gone aswell.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/03/capcom-europe-to-cut-more-than-50-of-its-staff/

Capcom are screwed and I cannot really blame anyone but them which I really don't want to.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-10-capcom-looks-towards-big-changes-after-difficult-fy13

Capcom had 152 million CASH RESERVE.

Their actual REVENUE for FY13 climbed from ¥82 billion ($820 million) to ¥94 billion ($940 million).
    However, their PROFIT fell to "only" $31 million.

Also of note:
    The financial report everyone keeps mentioning when saying "Capcom only have $152 million" came out at the end of March, so it's over half a year out of date (e.g. since then, Monster Hunter 4 has sold over 2.4 million in Japan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I feel as if f2p module is going to be the next new thing next gen and intergration of single player games with online like dark souls was.

We already see it with most of ubisoft new next gen games like the division and while i do not feel comfortable with having to have a solid internet connection to play my games i feel as if its not going to be my choice on the matter and may be on the norm for the future.

Rise of cost of games could happen , defiently a possibility but i think alot of developers are going to go to micro transactions route which we have already scene with rockstar and ea.

Online passes might die next gen considering developers want us connected and monitered at all times then catch us with map packs and in game items.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-10-capcom-looks-towards-big-changes-after-difficult-fy13

Capcom had 152 million CASH RESERVE.

Their actual REVENUE for FY13 climbed from ¥82 billion ($820 million) to ¥94 billion ($940 million).
    However, their PROFIT fell to "only" $31 million.

Also of note:
    The financial report everyone keeps mentioning when saying "Capcom only have $152 million" came out at the end of March, so it's over half a year out of date (e.g. since then, Monster Hunter 4 has sold over 2.4 million in Japan)

Capcom needs less RE6 and more MH4. It needs to port MH4 in to west and I bet it will make money.

I played RE6 with buddy. Even 1.7l of vodka between 2 of us could not hold us even remotely interested in game. Its such a shiet and to make it worse the QTE is just everywhere!!! Why capcom thinks that in west we love QTE?! If I remember right, the last straw was another QTE event and we just poped sucker out and put on Borderlands 2. Never looked back!

• Advertisement
Advertisement