Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Wives Tales - Girl or Boy?

Options
  • 03-10-2013 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi Ladies,

This is my first pregnancy and I want to keep the sex a surprise but alot of people keep telling me I am having a boy due to some "old wives tales". I just wondered what are the tales others are hearing, can we compare, are they right? Just a bit of fun!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

all the old wives tales told me my 1st was a boy,it was a girl:)
    I now gauge it on how sick I am and as a result my last guess was 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is one about bump being high for one gender and low for another, I can't remember which it is? I do remember it being wrong for my daughter though.

Every pregnancy I've had has been different in terms of symptoms, so I'm not sure what to tell from that. Hopefully I'll just find out in a few days at next scan though. Pile of girl clothes I don't know whether to give to a buddy, or keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

Ive been told carrying more weight on bum and thighs is sign of a boy. Also heard craving savoury stuff is a boy but craving sweet is a girl. I think that 2nd one definitely cant be used as an indicator though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Well, I'm having a boy. Any cravings I've had are for sweet stuff, like fruit juice and chocolate. And I had really bad morning sickness that lasted past five months. So the old wives would probably have said I was having a girl. :o

Funnily enough, from the very start, absolutely everyone was convinced it was going to be a boy! Not one person guessed it might be a girl ... and they were right! It's odd, because I had no idea myself, but everyone else just seemed to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

cravings defo no indicator - craved sour stuff last time, and had a boy, and sweet stuff this time, and having another boy.:D

(also craving garlic, and strawberry milk - any tales for that one? ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I was told I was having a girl because I carried small and neat. But it was a boy. S was sick that time from 6 weeks and same this time so I'm guessing another boy but I could be proved wrong time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Everybody tells me it's a boy - people commenting on how my bump is positioned - people basing it on my symptoms - I even have people dreaming of messages from family members on the other side, that it's a boy.
    With all this going on, I find myself mentally prepared for a boy - but we will have to see, as we are waiting until birth to find out ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

People kept telling me that I was having a boy based on having a high bump. I already knew from scans that I was having a girl but didn't want to tell anyone the sex until she was born! I mentioned to the midwife one day what people were saying to me, just in case the scans were wrong and she laughed, saying in all her days could she tell from looking at just the bump could she tell the sex of the baby. It's on the inside what counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I just felt i knew on my previous 2 what I was having and I was right. Boy first and then a girl. Convinced i'm having a boy this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

First time I was fairly sick, high bump and craved savory. (had a girl)
    This time not sick no cravings yet and bump only starting (don't know yet)

We were both convinced first time it was a boy until we found out at one of the scans. My mum had said from day one it was a girl.
    This time Im thinking girl, OH thinking boy and so is my mum although I know she wants it to be a boy.
    Loads of people keep saying hopefully it will be a boy just because I already have a girl. It will be handy for all the clothes if its a girl.

So so far completely different pregnancies, will know in about 4 weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Just wanted to add my mum knows some trick with a wedding ring on a chain. get someone to put it over your palm if it goes around in circle its a girl if it goes back and forth its a boy. Im not married so no wedding ring but we done this last time with SIL's ring . She was also pregnant. It went in a circle for both of us . We both had girls.

I also heard of some Chinese gender test (google it) It says im having a girl. But just tested it with my daughters due date and it said boy then used the date she was born and also said boy so don't think that's very accurate or maybe because its in the past .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My mam does the thing with the wedding ring or needle on thread over the open palm of a woman. It's freaky but she's been right every time except once. She did it on me and it predicted I'd have 2; a boy and a girl in that order and it stopped swinging after the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I don't know about old wives tales, but everyone - from friends, relatives, work colleagues, and myself and himself - had the feeling it was a boy, and as of yesterday they were all proved right! Freaky! Not one person thought I was having a girl, even my 3 year old nephew thought I was having a boy and offered to share his Thomas the tank engine train sets with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Thanks girls, your comments have put me a bit more at ease. Of course we want a happy healthy baby but truth be told we would both love a girl. I found myself getting upset and angry when people kept saying it was a boy. We will be delighted either way but I think the fact we haven't and won't be finding out until they arrive has put a real dampner on it all. They all had me convinced I was a having a boy.aybe it's just hormones, I am SERIOUSLY emotional lately, crying at the silliest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I can see where your comin from you want one thing but been told it won't be. I always thought I'd have a girl as that's all that's in my family all girls and had myself in that mindset. Well during the ultrasound the woman just blurted out its a boy which I didn't even want to know what I was having and I went out to the car and cried. It wasn't because I wasn't prepared for a boy (which I wasn't) but because I'd to tell hubby I knew and he didn't want to so I spent months hiding it tryin to not let it slip (I did great somehow as he was convinced a girl) spent the whole day crying till he came home at which point I cried telling him and then it hit me it's a boy and I fell in love all over again. Couldn't believe it and now I want this one to be a boy again! Big change from wanting a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My sister was convinced she was having a boy from the very start of her pregnancy, even started calling it by a boys name. She found out it was a girl at her 20 week scan and cried for about 4 days afterwards and went for a 4D scan just in case the sonographer in the hospital was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

central wrote: »
    Thanks girls, your comments have put me a bit more at ease. Of course we want a happy healthy baby but truth be told we would both love a girl. I found myself getting upset and angry when people kept saying it was a boy. We will be delighted either way but I think the fact we haven't and won't be finding out until they arrive has put a real dampner on it all. They all had me convinced I was a having a boy.aybe it's just hormones, I am SERIOUSLY emotional lately, crying at the silliest thing.

We had zero preference to begin with but were both convinced we were having a boy, had a name and everything, all I looked at were boys clothes etc and was imaging out little fella growing up! . We weren't going to find out the gender but oh was getting a bit uncomfortable with how "sure" we were and felt it best to find out at 21 week scan in case we were wrong and got a shock on D day. He made a valid point as we had a girl! Mindset instantly switched and both of us were so so delighted with a healthy little girl, lots of happy tears that day. Definitely don't regret finding out as another 20 weeks of being convinced we were team blue would have given me a big shock when she came out!

Completely your personal preference but might it be best to find out if it's upsetting you? Guaranteed you'll be ecstatic either way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

central wrote: »

I'd definitely find out the gender if I were you!

I have always said I would want to have a girl first. I'm not even really sure why, but I always imagined a baby girl ... could never imagine having a baby boy.

Then, when I got pregnant, I was so worried about everything that could go wrong, that the gender seemed to matter a lot less. But when I imagined the baby, it was still always a little girl that I imagined ... so I thought it would be best to find out.

By the time we got the scan at 21 weeks, it wasn't a case that I'd have preferred a girl - it's just that I was sort of expecting it to be a girl. So, when the midwife said that it was a boy, I wasn't at all disappointed. But I did sort of think, f***, what am I supposed to do with a boy?! :eek:

And now that I've gotten used to the idea, I think it's absolutely lovely, and I just can't wait and I'm honestly delighted that it's a boy. :) I think it was good for me to find out, though, and adjust to the idea now ... rather than having the surprise when the baby is born, when my hormones are going to be all over the place anyways.

I'm sure you have your own reasons for not finding out, but I'm definitely glad that we did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

This is my fourth and I have three girls already so while I don't really care what gender this one is as long as he/she is healthy I do want to be prepared if it's another girl because I would love a little boy this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

Thanks girls but as much as I get where you are all coming from in finding out I really don't want to with it being our first. I probably would if it were number 2, 3, 4 etc but really want the surprise. As long as it is healthy we will be happy and it will be a bonus if it's a girl. I am 16 weeks today so only another 160 odd days to go :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

I had no morning sickness and lots of energy on my pregnancy and everyone was telling me it was a boy. Also my bump was big and neat! Which apparently is another sign. It was indeed at boy. I have to stay from very early on I just had a feeling it was a boy! I found out at 21wks and wasn't surprised at all. :D

Advertisement