Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a DVD to help my son learn the game

Options
  • 03-10-2013 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

He started playing again and this time he is so wanting to learn. (Age 11)

Is there a DVD that would help him. That way he can grasp the rules and how each position plays.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

honestly the best thing he could do is sit down and watch a game on telly. Take Saturday for example, tell him to pay close attention to Brian O'Driscoll, even when he may not be directly involved. The man is like a manual book on how to play 13

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tigress

Thanks for that suggestion.

He wants to learn the rules and build confidence when on the field. So that when his coach instructs him hes not going Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tigress wrote: »
    Thanks for that suggestion.

He wants to learn the rules and build confidence when on the field. So that when his coach instructs him hes not going Huh?

In fairness that won't happen. Every coach worth their salt will tell the players the rules as they develop their skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If he wants to get a head start on it the IRB website has the entire lawbook along with videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Tigress wrote: »
    He started playing again and this time he is so wanting to learn. (Age 11)

Is there a DVD that would help him. That way he can grasp the rules and how each position plays.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I think the NZRFU might have a DVD or manual - maybe aimed more at coaches than kids, but no harm checking it out.

http://sb-supporters.co.nz/index.php/helpful-info/

If you can tolerate looking around the smallblacks website :o

This too

http://www.coachingtoolbox.co.nz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,054 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I haven't coached kids for years now but when I was (And I did so professionally), the emphasis was placed mainly on developing basic skills (running, passing, how to tackle, ruck and maul, teamwork and most crucially, enjoying the game), awareness of the core positions and concepts of the game (backward passes, scrums, line outs, basic field positions and what they alll do) and getting to practice everything in a safe setting.

At the age of 11, there is no point in him learning the laws of the game outside of the basics, which he will get from training and playing the game at his club or school. There are coaching resources out there but these are more for coaches and coaching than players and to be honest, they need to be practised. I'd agree with Ugo; playing and watching games of all levels will do him far more good than reading and swotting over a book or website.

I hope that this advice will help both of you but above all else do continue to encourage him in his love and playing of the game; this will be the best gift and advice that he can hope to receive.

Oh Guys thanks for that.

Lost my original reply. :confused:

I am delighted I can share this information with him. He has no influence from his Dad on the sport it comes from within and he wants be back there.

I forgot he just turned 12 he will kill me for making that mistake.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Best advice i can give is echoing what has already been said and your son should play as much rugby as possible.
    Just simply playing games is best at that age and at 11 your son should be getting the opportunity to play both in backs and forwards as mini rugby is an introduction to the game.
    Watching games will also help but the biggest aid to your son improving in the game will be spending as much time as he can with a rugby ball in his hand and playing with friends etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

best way to learn at that age, is from playing and the coach of his team - hopefully the coach is good , certainly hands on playing and training is how I've seen most players, of all standards, improve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement