Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long wait for referal to Dr Lucy

Options
  • 02-10-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Got a referral to Dr Jim Lucy from the local psychologist/psychiatrist (not sure which, not even sure the difference) for a GID assessment (f-ing hate that they call it disorder).

Will prob be at least 6 mo-1 year waiting list so am thinking of going private.

If I go private I get to choose who I see so would yous recommend Dr Lucy or Dr Kelly? Also, while I can afford a couple of psychologists appointments, I can't afford private endocrinology if that is decided. If you go private for psych does that mean you can only be seen private for anything they refer you on to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If you go private for psych does that mean you can only be seen private for anything they refer you on to?

No, you can go private for a psych and still be seen at an endocrinologists as a public patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

Go to Dr.Kelly over Dr.Lucy, he's a million times better.a little expensive but my treatment at loughlinstown is all free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I also saw a very good therapist, now based only in Athlone, she's E30 to medical card holders,not sure how long the wait would be, but wouldn't that long I'd say. I think Lisa Brinkmann in Cork is also good. I didn't 'connect' with James Kelly although a majority did. I'm just saying that there is options other than Jim Lucy or James Kelly.

some people dont just get it when they see him, i had a serious breakthrough when i did. I didnt know there was a medical card friendly therapist in athlone. very cool

At the time, I was still fairly questioning, unsure, non-binary, looking for options other than, as well as full-transition. He didn't help me one jot to clarify those questions. I've heard others in person express similar feelings. That he's very binary in outlook, however most clients will be too.

I'm not trying to knock or denigrate the man, a great majority of people are happy with him and he's helped a lot, so kudos to him. I'm just saying that was my experience.

• Advertisement

I know some other people who went to see him and had similar reviews, from what i got from it he seemed to help a whole lot, even going to call and text me the best routes to go and how to get the ball rolling, after i had seen him for the last time.he went above and beyond for me. I'm not surprised how he sends mixed opinions though

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Scary Mary D

Thank yous so much....

Not only for answering my question, but I no longer feel so much the "odd one" out.

Your welcome and we are here any time to chat. Hope your feeling well tonight. F:)

you're never the odd one out, start believing that :)

Advertisement