Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco mobile network down for the second time this week

Options
  • 02-10-2013 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Its mildly annoying... But getting more frequent.

It happened a month or so ago and today the network went down for the second time this week.

At least im not stuck somewhere where id need to make a phone call.

I can just picture Roy from the IT crowd asking if they have tried turning it off and on again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychic34

I changed to Tesco mobile from Meteor about a month ago and have had only hassle never had this much with Meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Vodafone is a bit ropey too over the last 48 hours. The tech guys blame the very wet weather signal failure+ cable water ingress, which I guess makes sense (for all mobile operators).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Trishyr1

My phone is my life-line...sort it out soon, please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

They are getting mad customers on their twitter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

48 is down too, both run off the O2 network don't they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Yep,02 customers are starting to experience problems now too according to their Twitter.

48 is down too, both run off the O2 network don't they?

Yep... Both run by liffey telecom under the respective brands on the o2 network.

So whenever tesco mobile goes down so does 48.

There has to be a big reason for it... Networks dont normally just go down.

I am in meath and after emailing a mate in cork (via landline broadband) who is also on tesco mobile... He has no coverage either

So its a big failure... Yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

was it about a year back tesco went down due to heavy rain? well if thats happened again its a bit of a joke. i mean ireland does have inclement weather, so heavy rain is hardly a surprise here, is it?

where are they keeping their hardware? at the edge of a lake?

emo72 wrote: »
    was it about a year back tesco went down due to heavy rain? well if thats happened again its a bit of a joke. i mean ireland does have inclement weather, so heavy rain is hardly a surprise here, is it?

where are they keeping their hardware? at the edge of a lake?

Please see post#3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

Very poor customer service from tescomobile.com ...totally unacceptable. I will be switching to another provider first thing tomorrow.

Heavy rain and flooding is no respecter of mobile operators.

O2/Tesco, Vodafone, & Meteor all seem to have been recently affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭emo72

LordSutch wrote: »
    Please see post#3.

yeah i see that. but it happened last year too. i thought they would have made contingency plans after that. so it wouldnt happen again.

if the amount of rain that fell today is enough to bring down the network, well, we all better buy CB radios:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnBowen

Assuming this fault is in a single location it's surprising how it's able to take down the whole country.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Still down. This is a joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

o2 Still having problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Technically speaking, since Tesco ride the o2 network , the towers and services are still o2's responsibility.

Be interesting to see how much business Tesco lose because of their mishap/issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Don't think this is (or was -- supposedly completely fixed now) a "network infrastructure" issue. I read someplace that they had the roof fall in (literally) on a data centre. So I'm assuming that it's customer data that was offline, leading to non-recognition of people's SIMs, not "no coverage" as such.

Initially my phone was showing "emergency calls only", was like that for most of the first day, then showed as "O2 - IRL" (rather than as Tesco mobile). I wasn't entirely sure initially if it was phone flakiness, or else a disconnected SIM. Got a text today saying everything was fixed, though the network ident still hasn't come back, so there might be one or two remaining gremlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I read someplace that they had the roof fall in (literally) on a data centre.

Apparently that was the reason for the previous outage, not the one last week.

There were also other issues in the UK on Tues/Wed/Thurs....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/04/o2_customers_grateful_to_be_back_on_line/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I wonder will TescoMobile compensate bill-pay customers be for the periods where they lacked a service. For PAYG customers they need to extend the in-credit period by a corresponding amount. Fat chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

MBSnr wrote: »
    Apparently that was the reason for the previous outage, not the one last week.
    My bad, sorry. (Didn't actually notice that one at all.)

I didn't notice any further actual outrages, but it was sometime yesterday before the "Tesco" network ident came back up for me. Not entirely sure what that signifies...

Advertisement