Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotels.com

Options
  • 02-10-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking for advise. I booked a hotel through hotels.com to Copenhagen for 31st Oct for 3 nights.

Within a short time of booking, I asked could I change the dates. Still 3 nights at same hotel. I said I accept there may be a charge but I go the following:

- Is this legal?
    "We regret to inform you that this reservation is non refundable and we are unable to modify your reservation without applying the change penalty in the amount of 342,18 EUR and this will incur additional charge to your account in the total amount of 478.54 EUR.If this is acceptable, kindly email us back or call us at 1-800-246-8357 to facilitate this change"

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you read the hotel conditions before you booked it? The change fees will be mentioned in that. Its entirely legal.

It is very rare that bookings made through aggregators can be changed or refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Try calling the hotel and see what they can do for you. I have always found hotels.com prices brilliant value. But I suppose when you get a bargain, you expect a less quality of service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes this is legal. Did you read the terms and conditions when you booked? Unless it stated that you were allowed cancel/change your booking once it was made then you are in the wrong and booking.com are in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Always read the cancellation/change T&Cs before making any booking. If Hotels.com advised you of those clearly when making the booking, then they are entirely allowed to charge you.

Best bet might be to contact the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

It depends on the conditions of the rate you booked at.

The cheapest rate is usually for advance purchases whereby you pay for the entire stay upfront and can't make any changes to the booking.

The more expensive rates give you more flexibility in that they can be cancelled up to 24 hours before the date you booked.

If you booked the hotel at the advance purchase rate, you don't have a leg to stand on if you want to change the booking, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The thread title is very misleading is it not?

Your issue is with the hotel, not with hotels.com

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Alias G

You can always slate them on Tripadvisor if it makes you feel any better. Not sure there is much else you can do.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    The thread title is very misleading is it not?

Your issue is with the hotel, not with hotels.com

This is nothing to do with the hotel! The booking was made through a third party- hotels.com. The OP's query is with them, not the hotel!

dukedalton wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with the hotel! The booking was made through a third party- hotels.com. The OP's query is with them, not the hotel!

Pretty sure it is the hotel which will be pocketing the money. In that case, the issue is with the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Exactly. A third party.

They don't run the hotel, they just provide the booking service.

They have done that.

The customer wants to change the booking which they can - however the hotel want a fee for that service.

How is any of that the website's fault?

They haven't lost his booking or misquoted him. They presumably provided the hotel's cancellation or alteration policy. If the OP didn't read them then again, it's not the website's fault.

If they provided incorrect terms and conditions then that's a different matter but the OP didn't mention anything like that so there's no reason to think that the issue here is with anyone other than the hotel.

• Advertisement

Alias G wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is the hotel which will be pocketing the money. In that case, the issue is with the hotel.

Surely the issue is with the third party you've paid your money to. They who have the money have control.

Your suggestion was to slate them on tripadvisor, which is completely unfair on the hotel. The problem is with the OP not reading the T&Cs of hotels.com.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Exactly. A third party.

They don't provide the service and just allow the customer to book through them.

They have done that.

The customer wants to change the booking which they can - however the hotel want a fee for that service.

How is any of that hotels.com's fault?

I think you misread my post. I'm not saying it's hotels.com's fault- it's written in black and white in their T&Cs that a change fee may be applied for an advance purchase.

Surely the issue is with the third party you've paid your money to. They who have the money have control.

Your suggestion was to slate them on tripadvisor, which is completely unfair on the hotel. The problem is with the OP not reading the T&Cs of hotels.com.

It is the hotel who are charging an outrageous cancellation charge, not hotels.com and imo they deserve to be slated on Tripadvisor for it at least. I would have no problem with customers being charged a modest cancellation fee but hotels choose to rip people off in this situation because there is no come-back. Its the Ryanair business model. Unless the OP has some serious negotiating skills they may just have to chalk this one down to experience.

Alias G wrote: »
    It is the hotel who are charging an outrageous cancellation charge, not hotels.com and imo they deserve to be slated on Tripadvisor for it at least. I would have no problem with customers being charged a modest cancellation fee but hotels choose to rip people off in this situation because there is no come-back. Its the Ryanair business model. Unless the OP has some serious negotiating skills they may just have to chalk this one down to experience.

If you don't want to be ripped off, read the T&Cs of the rate your booking at.

Incidentally, how do you know it's the hotel charging the "outrageous" cancellation fee and not hotels.com?

If you don't want to be ripped off, read the T&Cs of the rate your booking at.

Obviously good advice but a bit late for the OP.

The contract is with the hotel, therefore they have the right to charge the full rate for the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

She wrote: »
    Looking for advise. I booked a hotel through hotels.com to Copenhagen for 31st Oct for 3 nights.

Within a short time of booking, I asked could I change the dates. Still 3 nights at same hotel. I said I accept there may be a charge but I go the following:

- Is this legal?
    "We regret to inform you that this reservation is non refundable and we are unable to modify your reservation without applying the change penalty in the amount of 342,18 EUR and this will incur additional charge to your account in the total amount of 478.54 EUR.If this is acceptable, kindly email us back or call us at 1-800-246-8357 to facilitate this change"

Your best option now:
    ~ Re-read your Terms & Conditions
    ~ Make some contact with the management of the hotel you booked with through hotels.com about your query re:changing dates as they may oblige (maybe even also without any further charges)

~ Could you answer the following for me if you wouldn't mind as this is interesting to me:

What, out of curiousity were you charged to begin with for your 3-day stay? The Change penalty - what is the total cost of that and is that % figure outlined in your t&c received on confirmation of your booking? What is this additional charge to your account - any further details of that that actually is?

The quotation under 'is that legal' - That section seems to be strangely quoted, phrased for some reason.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/I do hope you can change you reservation for the dates you now chose, without being excessively charged over the original quotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

- Is this legal?

It's advice. Call the hotel, explain. They may be sympathetic, though they don't have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 She

I think you misread my post. I'm not saying it's hotels.com's fault- it's written in black and white in their T&Cs that a change fee may be applied for an advance purchase.

BTW: I accept that there is a charge as stated in T&Cs but not that I have to:

1. Apply a penalty of 342,18
    2. Total amount to change is 478.54

PLUS/ IN ADDITION to the 342.18 I paid originally

We regret to inform you that this reservation is non refundable and we are unable to modify your reservation without applying the change penalty in the amount of 342,18 EUR and this will incur additional charge to your account in the total amount of 478.54 EUR. If this is acceptable, kindly email us back or call us at 1-800-246-8357 to facilitate this change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

We regret to inform you that this reservation is non refundable and we are unable to modify your reservation without applying the change penalty in the amount of 342,18 EUR and this will incur additional charge to your account in the total amount of 478.54 EUR. If this is acceptable, kindly email us back or call us at 1-800-246-8357 to facilitate this change

I have sympathy for you but the stone cold reality is that if you're trying to change a non-refundable advance purchase they can charge whatever change fee they want. That's the reason why they charge a cheaper rate for advance purchases. I'd imagine it's similar for other third party site and for hotels themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Sounds like the OP booked a non refundable rate and the change is just the cost of a new booking.

Did you check how much it is to make a new booking altogether OP ?

Sounds like the OP booked a non refundable rate and the change is just the cost of a new booking.

Did you check how much it is to make a new booking altogether OP ?

If it's essentially a 40% charge to change the booking (as another poster said) it will still be slightly cheaper to stay with hotels.com rather than to make a completely new booking, with what the OP has already paid.

You have to hand it to them, they're crafty feckers.

Ah Thanks for this. It is looking clearer to me now.

Have you made contact with the management of the hotel you booked with in Copenhagen? Are they able to assist you in any way without you incurring any penalty?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Hi guys, I work in hotel reservations so just to let the OP know contacting the hotel will not help.
    The contract is with hotels.com and only they can facilitate any changes.
    I'd imagine they high rate to change dates Could be the fact the new dates may be busier, or have less availability, so they do have to add on the supplement.

Posting on trip advisor is really a silly thing to do!! The hotel itself is only receiving about 60% of that money
    anyway, it is hotel.com that set the rate and t&c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

bigbudda wrote: »
    Hi guys, I work in hotel reservations so just to let the OP know contacting the hotel will not help.
    The contract is with hotels.com and only they can facilitate any changes.

Not always the case I can assure you re:contacting the hotel which is why I would insist on people doing that (and speaking with hotel mgt). I've been contacted and I've had 3-way conversations with clients and hotels.com regarding changing booking dates for people, some with exceptional circumstances :)

Advertisement