Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Android Developer looking for work

Options
  • 02-10-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a graduate software developer and I'm desperately looking for some advice on how to pursue a career in the Mobile Application field. I'm finding it difficult to get responses from Android job adverts at present. I have developed two Android applications during my time in college but all job applications are seeking developers with a least 2 years experience. I have a first class honors degree and I'm trying to find out how does one get his foot in the door of a company with little commercial experience?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How in depth are your Android applications? Can you show them to us? Have you any ios experience? Try to get some if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

How in depth are your Android applications? Can you show them to us? Have you any ios experience? Try to get some if you can.

I don't have any IOS experience at the moment. The problem is that I don't have a Mac. Is it possible to develop with XCode on a Windows machine or do I need to have a Mac? My last Android application is pretty complex using technologies such as Google App Engine and JDO datastores as a backend. The app name is TrackRate.

Here's the github link if you want to have a look https://github.com/jessyCV/FinalYearProject

There are some screenshots in the repository also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Have you got either up on Google play? A lot of companies will want someone who has experience of deployment as well.

Have you been getting any responses at all? Have you a portfolio showing what your apps do and what you learnt building them?

Have you got either up on Google play? A lot of companies will want someone who has experience of deployment as well.

Have you been getting any responses at all? Have you a portfolio showing what your apps do and what you learnt building them?

Yeah I've had two interviews. One in Limerick where I was pipped at the post by someone who has years of experience behind them. I asked the employer for some feedback and they said it was just the lack of commercial experience where I fell short. Other than that they said I was a very strong candidate. The other was in Belfast but they changed the job profile in the last minute to a QA position. Ideally I'm looking for a position in Dublin but I've been trying everywhere.

I haven't deployed any of the applications to Google play as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and the applications need to be tested properly before I'd feel confident to release them.

I've got a Linkedin account which has a presentation of my final year project and my CV describes the different technologies of Android development I've learnt along the way which is practically everything from Google Maps API to sqlite to fragments to OAuth2.0 authorization

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Key thing with LinkedIn is to make sure that your CV has as many industry specific key words as possible in it as possible. That's the way people basically get found by recruiters who are searching for your specific skills.

I'd also recommend joining a few groups on there as the networking aspect can be useful for jobs.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know some mobile application companies out there so I could email them for advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dermo1987

Here are a few companies based in Dublin which could be looking for mobile app developers

Fusio
    Tapadoo
    iGuideMA
    Bluebear
    OsgoSolutions
    Distilled Media
    BigDog

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

I was going to ask the same question here, but it looks like jessconr got there before me. I am in the same position they are in (but a 2.1 instead of 1.1), but I do have a few apps on the Android app store, but no industry experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daviddononeill

Howlin1 wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question here, but it looks like jessconr got there before me. I am in the same position they are in (but a 2.1 instead of 1.1), but I do have a few apps on the Android app store, but no industry experience.

Hi I'm looking for someone who can develop a high spec application . My idea is patentend in my name alls I need is someone with the ability to design a functional app I will pay of course. If your interested email me thanks.

<Mod edit> : Email removed. Please use PM to contact.

Hi I'm looking for someone who can develop a high spec application . My idea is patentend in my name alls I need is someone with the ability to design a functional app I will pay of course. If your interested email methanks

I sent you an email earlier today. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Emails removed. Please see the forum charter, in particular this section:
    Contact details
    It is not allowed to post Private or mobile phone numbers.
    It is not allowed to post emails
    Any of the above will be snipped from posts
    If you wish to post your own details you must get prior permission from a moderator.

Advertisement