Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men's hair products

Options
  • 02-10-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I am looking to get hairspray and a styling gel pomade. Anyone have any recommendations that wouldn't involve breaking the bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Layrite is a great pomade, it's sold by http://www.truebarberproducts.com/ and the site has a list of stockists around the country.

It's €15, which might seem a lot. However, it will last for ages as it's a big tub of the stuff and you only need to use a small bit at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Layrite is a great pomade, it's sold by http://www.truebarberproducts.com/ and the site has a list of stockists around the country.

It's €15, which might seem a lot. However, it will last for ages as it's a big tub of the stuff and you only need to use a small bit at a time.
    Got this, pretty good in fairness. Was looking at hairspray myself, anyone any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Hairbond, I use got2b hairspray.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just for anybody who may want to clarify what type of hair product to go for, and for general knowledge on what's being discussed the below is a pretty good starting point

POMADES

There are two major types of pomade; petroleum based and water based. Petroleum based pomades are the original kind. They are made with real grease and fatty ingredients to produce the shine and hold. Water based pomades are water soluble making them easier to wash out of the hair than actual grease. These are typically also better for the health of the scalp but some plain just prefer to stick with old school, the classics. Pomades are meant for those that want to achieve slick, neat and shiny dos and especially for styles like the pomp, quiff or ducktail. Unlike gels, this product does not dry out and will not harden on the hair. Holds tight but remains pliable.

GEL

These typically are somewhat translucent in color and generally thinner in consistency than pomades or waxes but can be considered "lightweight" or "heavyweight" depending on hold. Unlike waxes and pomades, gels actually harden on the hair leaving a stiff feeling and a shiny, wet look. It is beneficial to use a gel that is alcohol free to avoid flaking. These are also easier to wash out. For those with thin or thinning hair it is recommended to use a lightweight gel and opposite for those with thick or curly/wavy hair.

WAXES/PASTES

Waxes, pastes, and clays are one in the same. These are significantly of a thicker consistency than other styling products but again unlike, gel will not stiffen in the hair although will feel "tackier" than most products. Some waxes add a little shine but most are matte finish which is great for the messy, dry look with a strong hold.

CREAMS/SERUM

Creams and Serums are basically for finishing touches or hair protection. Contain little to no hold but make the hair more manageable. Used to add brilliant shine, smooth and lock down frizz. Some can be applied to the hair while it's wet to help protect against heat tools, such as the blow dryer or a flat iron. You then apply it once your style is complete for the finishing touch. Creams and serums can also be added to wax or pomade for a customized product which adds more shine and control

HAIRSPRAY

Hairsprays can be used on their own to add volume or boost the roots and also can be added after your favorite product for additional shine and an extra kick of hold. These do tend to stiffen slightly and leave your hair with that "crisp" feeling. There are two general types of sprays; a pump which will add a bit more shine than the second, being aerosol which will vary from brand to brand regarding shine.

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Hairbond, I use got2b hairspray.

Whats it like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Fish Glue, the red one. Im a big gelling guy and this stuff is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

What's pomade???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

I'm a Dapper Dan man

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

If you want some thing very strong try Lynx cream gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

More and more I return to old school ways; Brylcream, the original red tub, the Levi 501 of hair products, it can't have lasted this long without being top drawer stuff. Men have been marketed off the pitch with stuff, we need to go back to decades old products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Didnt want to open a new thread . so just want to ask can anybody recommend a good hair styling product available in Ireland?

I have short hair but its still long enough to need some product in it . I've tried brylcream and its ok just to hold the hair when I need a haircut and its that bit longer.

I hate having my hair rock hard too , was using a certain product made by a certain deodorant company. And when I washed it out the next day it was actually painful to the scalp.

So any suggestions on a product that can tame short hair without being rock hard or flaky after an hour would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Didnt want to open a new thread . so just want to ask can anybody recommend a good hair styling product available in Ireland?

I have short hair but its still long enough to need some product in it . I've tried brylcream and its ok just to hold the hair when I need a haircut and its that bit longer.

I hate having my hair rock hard too , was using a certain product made by a certain deodorant company. And when I washed it out the next day it was actually painful to the scalp.

So any suggestions on a product that can tame short hair without being rock hard or flaky after an hour would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I use Stonefish Styling Clay. You can get it at Boots http://fishsoho.com/products/for-him/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Thanks.

The one on the right, it can be gotten in most supermarkets - Dunnes etc for about €4.
    Wella-Shockwaves.jpg

Its water based so washes out easily, doesnt dry out so your hair remains soft and it smells really nice, Ive been using it for 4 or 5 years after fannying around with Dax, Brylcream etc.

The one on the right, it can be gotten in most supermarkets - Dunnes etc for about €4.
    Wella-Shockwaves.jpg

Its water based so washes out easily, doesnt dry out so your hair remains soft and it smells really nice, Ive been using it for 4 or 5 years after fannying around with Dax, Brylcream etc.

Thanks I will definetly give it a go . Used to use that blue tin dax wax myself and its an absolute nightmare to wash out. And the red tin of it is even worse.

I use Stonefish Styling Clay. You can get it at Boots http://fishsoho.com/products/for-him/

Tried some sort of fish paste years ago not sure if its that particular brand , must check it out.

Purple dax is great and after trying lots of different things is what I use.. NOTHING like the red or blue ones which are completely rubbish and parrafin based afaik. the purple one is light, water-based (washes out easily) and it great for giving a bit of control and makes your hair look "not dried out"/ bit of shine (if that makes sense). Must rub in well on your fingers first and apply only to slightly damp hair (not totally dry hair). It can be hard to find these days but you can get it on ebay etc if necessary for about 4 or 5 euro a tin.

glasso wrote: »
    Purple dax is great and after trying lots of different things is what I use.. NOTHING like the red or blue ones which are completely rubbish and parrafin based afaik. the purple one is light, water-based (washes out easily) and it great for giving a bit of control and makes your hair look "not dried out"/ bit of shine (if that makes sense). Must rub in well on your fingers first and apply only to slightly damp hair (not totally dry hair). It can be hard to find these days but you can get it on ebay etc if necessary for about 4 or 5 euro a tin.

Purple dax wax , never knew it existed , could be good for keeping hold , because my hair is fairly springy even more so after a hair cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I use the Fish products myself, the one in the white tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Try the American crew products, Fiber, Pomade etc...really good water based products, a little pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sebastian hair products ftw.

Expensive but excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

L'oreal Superdust.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just started BedHead stolen from my bro during Xmas.

My hair is quite thick and could never get a gel to keep it in place that wouldn't stop it going curly at the tips or falling down by lunch.

Best Wax Ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Tilikum wrote: »
    L'oreal Superdust.

Where do you buy this?

Anyone know of somewhere that stocks American Crew Boost powder?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

lufties wrote: »
    Try the American crew products, Fiber, Pomade etc...really good water based products, a little pricey though.

Bought some American Crew. I amn't impressed. Severely disappointed in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've tried Murray's Super Light Pomade, which I find quite good. Red Dax Wax, this stuff would last an entire weekend in your hair if you showered every day. And vo5 rework cream, that stuff is pretty good, light but with an okay hold for short hair.

I've been trying to get a hold of an American product called Groom & Clean but I can't find it anywhere in Europe and it'd only be cost effective to order a ton from the states.

Where do you buy this?

I think a lot of barbers stock American crew (for sale) I've noticed it in a few different places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Where do you buy this?

Online. A mate of mine is a hairdresser in london. He thinks it's the best product on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

lads can any of you recommend a gel,wax or cream for thining hair I have been using gel but seems to make my situation more obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

benny79 wrote: »
    lads can any of you recommend a gel,wax or cream for thining hair I have been using gel but seems to make my situation more obvious!

Look for something that gives texture. The Fish stuff is great. Its all i use now.
    The trick with thinning hair is so use small amounts of product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

have you any names and where I might purchase boots say for example!

Advertisement