Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand controls for car - any idea of cost or advice

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Has anyone had hand controls fitted to their car? Any idea of cost including getting them fitted? Driving Assessment with IWA coming up and it may be time to change to hand controls. Any advice or experience stories welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There are a limited number of fitters registered with the NSAI ...... some work mobile or in certain locations across large areas.

Personally I have used only small one/two man operations, as that has ensured I got the organ-grinder and not the monkey to do the job.
    OK, maybe a little harsh ...... but I prefer to get the person with best experience fitting such vital components.

Also be aware that there are different manufacturers of hand controls, and some are much more suitable than others, depending on vehicle and driver physique.

Ring around with car model, age etc and get quotations ..... remembering the best price is no guarantee of best end result .....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
    I know prices vary but really just looking for a ballpark figure (less than €500, more than €1,000 kind of thing). I suppose the question is do I get the existing car adapted or get another car? If the adaptation is more than €1,500 for instance it'd probably make more financial sense to adapt my next trade-up car rather than the one I have now and trade up sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hand controls come in varying types and functions, so the price is dependent on what your exact needs are.

Your question about price would be better answered by the workshops themselves, as they will have their current prices of the different models with different functions. You should 'shop around'.

IMO, you need to discuss your needs with a few providers to get a better idea of prices in your region.

Did you get an assessment of your needs from the IWA or other?

Such an assessment should indicate the required functions of the adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Iospir

Hi Johnboy. Have applied for the assessment so we'll see what they say and go from there I suppose. Thanks again.

Advertisement