Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Editing commercial movie (from iTunes) on Pro Tools

Options
  • 02-10-2013 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    First time poster here. I have Pro Tools 9, which I use regularly for music recording & production (I've never used the video editing capabilities).

I'm working on a college project where I need to create a presentation that includes 3 or 4 clips from a commercial movie. One option is to link to YouTube clips of the movie, but I find the quality is variable (not to mention the ads that pop up all over the place).

To get a more professional result, I'm thinking of buying the movie (from iTunes), then importing it into Pro Tools, so I can edit the clips I need.

Is this possible? What are the problems I'm likely to encounter (e.g. will iTunes DRM prevent me from doing this?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    First time poster here. I have Pro Tools 9, which I use regularly for music recording & production (I've never used the video editing capabilities).

I'm working on a college project where I need to create a presentation that includes 3 or 4 clips from a commercial movie. One option is to link to YouTube clips of the movie, but I find the quality is variable (not to mention the ads that pop up all over the place).

To get a more professional result, I'm thinking of buying the movie (from iTunes), then importing it into Pro Tools, so I can edit the clips I need.

Is this possible? What are the problems I'm likely to encounter (e.g. will iTunes DRM prevent me from doing this?)

Should be fine I reckon, another possibility would be use some dvd ripping software. Protools only plays back certain movie file types so it would be worth your while downloading MPEG Streamclip (its free!!) to convert files if needed.
    This software will also allow you create clips from the entire movie sequences as you cannot cut movie files in ProTools.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you just want to import one or two clips you could just download some illegal avi/divx version, which will be much easier to work with, no conversions needed. Unless you've expressly asked for permission to use the clips you're outside of the law anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thanks for the suggestions... will follow up on those.

Advertisement