Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People receiving messages from me that I didn't send

Options
  • 01-10-2013 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place. Mods please move if it can go somewhere better, thanks.

Right so earlier my boyfriend and a couple of my friends asked me if I sent them messages with a link recommending a website. I told them I didn't. They said the link looked suspicious and deleted them straight away. I have since found they were coming from my twitter account which I never really use. All my contacts got the same message but with different links. I got them all deleted and changed my password.

Is this a case of my twitter being hacked or could my laptop have a virus?? I'm running a scan right now but so far nothing has been found.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If all your contacts got the message then your mail account or your machine have been compromised.

If your contacts are only on line on your mail account then that has been compromised.

If they are only on your machine then that has been compromised. If on both then one or both could have been compromised.

In any event I would change all your passwords using a machine you know to be clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Thanks FSL. It seems to be just my Twitter account. Have changed all passwords anyway. The scan on my computer came back clear with no threats or viruses found.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Check your allowed apps on your Twitter account and disable them also.

If you receive a message like that, never open those links. Its a common thing on Twitter I've seen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Advertisement