Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good foot admin/wet and dry tips ?

Options
  • 01-10-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey ,
    newbie question :)
    any good ways of cutting down the number of socks you bring in to the field so to save space ? , heard of some lads just bringing three pairs .. one on them one in the bergen and one drying somewhere on their person as well as their goretex socks. Been told that if you use this system correctly you haven an unlimited supply of socks ... stupid question but could anyone explain the best way to do this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

To save space?

How long are you going for?
    Where are you going?
    What will you be doing?
    What pack etc are you carrying?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

It completely depends on how long you're out for. Anyone who never brings more than 3 pairs of socks out with them, is an idiot.

I use the method of wear one pair out and bring one for each day you will be out, one for the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I use the method of wear one pair out and bring one for each day you will be out, one for the way back.

Same, but with goretex socks for the odd period where I know I'll have a chance to dry my boots out... Lash on the socks if I'm doing the model kit or something that is likely to be undisturbed for 2 hours. It's 2 minutes of admin to swap over to another pair once I'm done, to just stand around in wet socks and boots is lazy IMO.

discus wrote: »
    Same, but with goretex socks for the odd period where I know I'll have a chance to dry my boots out... Lash on the socks if I'm doing the model kit or something that is likely to be undisturbed for 2 hours. It's 2 minutes of admin to swap over to another pair once I'm done, to just stand around in wet socks and boots is lazy IMO.

Yeah good point. It makes a huge fecking difference to morale too.

There's just certain things you don't cut back on when going on the ground, socks, foot powder/talc and water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 2canvandamme

outside of courses and that how do you hear of lads operating for a few weeks on the ground or in the jungle where there soaked all the time , they cant have a bergan full of socks so ???

outside of courses and that how do you hear of lads operating for a few weeks on the ground or in the jungle where there soaked all the time , they cant have a bergan full of socks so ???

There's no big secret way of doing it. During the day, if it's dry out (if in a base camp) put them on a branch to dry.

If on the move, and it is dry out, hang off the side of your pack

At night, put them between you and the sleeping bag, it will kinda dry them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

There's no big secret way of doing it. During the day, if it's dry out (if in a base camp) put them on a branch to dry.

If on the move, and it is dry out, hang off the side of your pack

At night, put them between you and the sleeping bag, it will kinda dry them.

If you're in thick cover the chances are you'll get wet and stay wet. Humidity is so high you can't dry anything on the go and have to wait till you can get a fire going, and in any case, you'll probably end up having to cross numerous waterways during a days march. From personal experience, once you've resigned yourself to the fact that you're going to be wet for the next few days or weeks- invest in good insoles and some elastoplast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

booom wrote: »
    once you've resigned yourself to the fact that you're going to be wet for the next few days or weeks- invest in good insoles and some elastoplast.

Amen brother. I hate when people pussyfoot on exercise, and try keep from getting wet boots or wet full stop. So unprofessional.. Just accept you're getting wet, and that it's not gonna change anything.

Advertisement