Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vix Image

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I see lots of posts in different threads about the Vix image but it does not have a thread of it's own so I thought maybe it should - well lets see if it takes off.

I'm a newb to it so have lots of questions.

Would be grateful if someone could answer these two please:

1) When I turn on the box it always opens up on a station on 13 Amos 4.0W - how can I get it to open up with a station on Astra 28 eg BBC?

2) When I go into the menu screen and have the list of stations under a sat. on the left hand side of the screen, the 1st letter of the station name is missing eg instead of showing ITV HD it shows TV HD - so I need to move the writing over to the right a bit as I look at the screen - how can I do this please?

Regards
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

for no.2 do this

you may notice that the menu or OSD ( On Screen Display ) on your tv screen does not quite fit it may be stretched or off to one side, don't worry this is easy to correct like so.

first exit out of the channel list screen by pressing exit on the remote. you should see the Vu loading screen.

To set the OSD
    menu > setup > OSD > OSD SETUP
    here you can use the up / down buttons to select each option and the left / right buttons to adjust the setting themselves. once you are happy that your OSD is setup press green to save these settings.

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

iba wrote: »
    2) When I go into the menu screen and have the list of stations under a sat. on the left hand side of the screen, the 1st letter of the station name is missing eg instead of showing ITV HD it shows TV HD - so I need to move the writing over to the right a bit as I look at the screen - how can I do this please?

Regards

Your TV overwrites any settings of the box. This is a setting on your TV remote, 16:9 or 16:9 fit screen size. I have noticed that with Vix also. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

GBCullen and STB,

Re: Question number 2.

I was so excited to come home tonite and try GBCullens answer but then I saw STB's answer and now im not so excitied. So I'll tell you the settings I have at the moment and perhaps you might advise if any of these could be changed in order to help:

Box - Menu - System - A/V Settings (GBCullen there does not seem to be an OSD option)

Video Output = HDMI
    Mode = 1080i
    Refresh Rate = Multi
    Display 4:3 content as = Just Scale
    Display >16:9 content as = Pan and Scan
    Digital down mix = yes
    General AC3 delay = 0
    General PCM delay = 0
    Bypass HDMI EDID check = off
    Show VCR scart on main menu

TV settings (LG 42LV550T)

Aspect Ratio = Original (options available 16:9, Just Scan, Original, 4:3, 14:9 and Cinema Zoom 1)

I also have True Motion with the options of User, Off, Low and High.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

GBCullen and STB,

I was so excited to come home tonite and try GBCullens answer but then I saw STB's answer and now im not so excitied. So I'll tell you the settings I have at the moment and perhaps you might advise if any of these could be changed in order to help:

Box - Menu - System - A/V Settings (GBCullen there does not seem to be an OSD option)

Video Output = HDMI
    Mode = 1080i
    Refresh Rate = Multi
    Display 4:3 content as = Just Scale
    Display >16:9 content as = Pan and Scan
    Digital down mix = yes
    General AC3 delay = 0
    General PCM delay = 0
    Bypass HDMI EDID check = off
    Show VCR scart on main menu

TV settings (LG 42LV550T)

Aspect Ratio = Original (options available 16:9, Just Scan, Original, 4:3, 14:9 and Cinema Zoom 1)

I also have True Motion with the options of User, Off, Low and High.

Thanks

Set your TV to ''Just scan'' and adjust any OSD settings you are still having issue with on the Vu.
    Just Scan won't alter the output as the other settings will.

Question number 3:

Regarding the update option.

Currently have:

Version 3.0
    Build = 722
    Kernel = 3.1.1
    Drivers = 13/8/13

When I go to Menu - Setup - Software Update

it tells me I have 75 updates available with the following options:

1) View the changes
    2) Upgrade and Reboot system
    3) Update channel list only
    4) Cancel

Theseoptions are obviously self-explantory but the question is should I, on an ongoing basis, Upgrade and Reboot System and Update channel list.

My guess is that I should update channel list regularly but I'm not so sure about the Upgrade and Reboot system option.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Banie

Re: Question number 2

Thanks

I changed the setting to 'Just Scan' on the TV and that has worked.

It's actually a Gigablue and I can't see the option for changing OSD settings

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Banie

Re: Question number 2

Thanks

I changed the setting to 'Just Scan' on the TV and that has worked.

It's actually a Gigablue and I can't see the option for changing OSD settings

Regards

OSD settings in VIX image are Menu>Setup>System>User Interface(not that you need to adjust them now anymore)

As for the upgrade options, I usually upgrade and reboot.
    The channel list update overwrites any customization you have made to your bouquet so if you are using VIX's default bouquets it is a good way to keep up to date, if you use customized bouquets it can be a headache.

banie01 wrote: »
    OSD settings in VIX image are Menu>Setup>System>User Interface(not that you need to adjust them now anymore)

As for the upgrade options, I usually upgrade and reboot.
    The channel list update overwrites any customization you have made to your bouquet so if you are using VIX's default bouquets it is a good way to keep up to date, if you use customized bouquets it can be a headache.

Thanks Banie

So I have done an upgrade and reboot - how often would you do this, like once a week or so?

I'm using some of the built in Vix's bouquet - I've tried a few of them but have not really find one that I really like yet. For example, the one I was using last night did not even have ITV1 on it (it had ITV2, 2 and 4)

When I get better with the Image I guess Ill try and play around and make a channel which is more suited for me with my avourites and all, but I think that might be a bit down the road.

Question Number 4:

What is the easiest way to see the Sat signal strength and quality when actually watching a station - is there a button that can be pressed (I have tried lots of buttons but didn't find one that would do this)

Thanks

Question Number 5:

What do you have to do to get IPTV using a Vix image?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Question 6:

How do I tune in a station with a FEC of 8/9 - I do not see any option for 8/9 in the manual scan. Station in question is BT Sports 1 HD at 11.156 23000 V 8/9

iba you should find a forum for the vix image and have a good read, there is one in WOS but as a lot of the stuff you are after has already been covered people are reluctant to help, hence my idea of same image. Also image may put in fec using auto. I'll have a look around.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    iba you should find a forum for the vix image and have a good read, there is one in WOS but as a lot of the stuff you are after has already been covered people are reluctant to help, hence my idea of same image. Also image may put in fec using auto. I'll have a look around.

Thanks GB.

I have read threads in the WoS forums, but finding answers there is not too easy.

And before I ask, I usually do try things myself, eg I tried the BT Sports HD Transponder with Auto but it didnt pick up anything. So I scanned in th BT Sports SD which worked.

A lot of stations moved on Astra 28 in the last few days and the bouquet that I'm using is not up to speed yet because I did check to see if any updates were available first and there was not.

Besides that, lets hope Utd win today - come on you Reds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Question 6:

How do I tune in a station with a FEC of 8/9 - I do not see any option for 8/9 in the manual scan. Station in question is BT Sports 1 HD at 11.156 23000 V 8/9

Try changing transponder system details to DVB-S2.

radiowaves wrote: »
    Try changing transponder system details to DVB-S2.

Thanks very much radiowaves , that worked. I changed it from DvB-s to Dvb-s2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

Thanks very much radiowaves , that worked. I changed it from DvB-s to Dvb-s2

You're welcome mate.

BTW That's a temp frequency for BT Sports which will go off in a couple of days. You might want to retune to the permanent transponder, which is now on stream.

DVB-S2 (!) QPSK 12.574 H 23000 8/9

Hi Radiowaves,

Sorry I have not replied sooner; have had no internet since Sunday and I'm useless typing on the phone.

I'm actually using one of the built-in bouquets in Vix (I dont know the method of finding out which one I'm using though, if I could I'd tell you) so hopefully the bouquet will update all the stations itself, but I'll do what you said above too

BTW should I always scan on DVB-S2 rather than DVB-S (I don't know the difference)

Cheers

welcome back, a lot of this stuff is purely technical, dvb-s = and this is a bit mind blowing , dvb - standard, ie the first standard used for sat transmission, dvb-s2 = second standard ie an update on s, better compression. You still need both but quite a few tuners do it automatically so you need never need know. However, now you have linux box etc things can be different with each image. To know which standard look at lyngsat

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-1N-2A-2F.html

and its shows the relevant standards for each frequency.

By the way you should not need to scan in a channel individually you can set box to auto update or use dreamset to download from kingof sat or do as I do hunt around and find a good place for udated ch listings.

And its all part of the learning curve.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    welcome back, a lot of this stuff is purely technical, dvb-s = and this is a bit mind blowing , dvb - standard, ie the first standard used for sat transmission, dvb-s2 = second standard ie an update on s, better compression. You still need both but quite a few tuners do it automatically so you need never need know. However, now you have linux box etc things can be different with each image. To know which standard look at lyngsat

http://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-28A-and-Astra-1N-2A-2F.html

and its shows the relevant standards for each frequency.

By the way you should not need to scan in a channel individually you can set box to auto update or use dreamset to download from kingof sat or do as I do hunt around and find a good place for udated ch listings.

And its all part of the learning curve.

Thanks for the WB

I never noticed the option before of DVB-S and DVB-S2 - I guess my previous boxes never had the option to change them so I never needed too. Looking at Lyngsat now, I see exactly whats going on - just never noticed before.

I have not got as far/the stage as to allow Kingofsat to do it for me. Just trying out the various inbulit boquets on the Vix image at the moment - would have thought they update regurarly but still finding lots of 'dead' channels on them and of course the bouquet had not updated to the new transponder for BT last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frankbourkekk

help required for newb
    When I try to change any settings in menu,system starts to reboot citing software failure.
    any help please

• Advertisement

when dealing with these images its vital we know the make of box and model no and most of all the version of the image you are using. these images are glitchy and as you will discover a full re-install fixes a lot of problems as well as using the most up to date image.

Advertisement