Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to find a new school

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey whats up. I need some help here, if this is in the wrong section please move it. :D

Im looking to start in a new school. Im currently in 5th yr and my mam wants me in a new school by after the mid term. I know its hard to get into a good school this late. The last school I went to was a boys school in Rathfarnam and their was a few lads that for whatever reason didn't get on with me. I'm sick of living in my room because nobody wants to come out with me or invite me anywhere because of what one or two people think.

Anyway, I'd like to find a fee paying school that's mixed. I live in Tallaght but I can use Dublin Bus or the Luis to get to some areas. I'm not really into sport but I want to get on well with the people in the class not have a repeat of the last four years. Please nothing too expensive, the price of Institute for example is too expensive.

If anybody could help me out that'd be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Gman8 wrote: »
    Hey whats up. I need some help here, if this is in the wrong section please move it. :D

Im looking to start in a new school. Im currently in 5th yr and my mam wants me in a new school by after the mid term. I know its hard to get into a good school this late. The last school I went to was a boys school in Rathfarnam and their was a few lads that for whatever reason didn't get on with me. I'm sick of living in my room because nobody wants to come out with me or invite me anywhere because of what one or two people think.

Anyway, I'd like to find a fee paying school that's mixed. I live in Tallaght but I can use Dublin Bus or the Luis to get to some areas. I'm not really into sport but I want to get on well with the people in the class not have a repeat of the last four years. Please nothing too expensive, the price of Institute for example is too expensive.

If anybody could help me out that'd be great. :)

sorry to hear about your troubles. Any particular ethos? There are not that many fee paying that are mixed - Sandford is mixed, but only in the early years at the moment I think. Wesley is mixed, and I think there is a bus that serves Tallaght (75?) I dont know of any mixed Catholic schools in the area, but I could be wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was also going to say Wesley as you can get 75 from Tallaght. Would at Andrew's in Bootetstown be too far away? There's also St Columba's (which I think is more expensive). Fees in Wesley and Andrews are about €6000 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I was also going to say Wesley as you can get 75 from Tallaght. Would at Andrew's in Bootetstown be too far away? There's also St Columba's

Surely if the institute is to expensive columbas is too expensive as well?

Op I used to be a bit like you, wondering why everyone seemed to hate me etc. Etc. Why no one would ever call, then I made some slight tweaks to my personality (takes time) and now in my final year of college I have a good circle of friends.

Changing schools isn't going to get you away from people who don't like you, as there'll always be people in your class who you don't like/don't like you. Just because it's fee paying doesn't mean that it'll all be rosy in the garden.
    You may also find it hard to fit in, especially If you only have a year or two left before you go into college where it'll be a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Scortho wrote: »
    Surely if the institute is to expensive columbas is too expensive as well?

Yes, I agree. That's why I said it was more expensive, but listed it anyway just in case. I'd imagine The Institute's fees are around the same as other fee paying schools anyway so if the OP can't afford that I'm not sure his family could afford another fee paying school, where you would have to buy a uniform etc as well.

I spent a year in a school I was miserable in and then moved schools and started fresh. It was the best thing I ever did and I was a lot happier so I see where the OP us coming from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

The High School and Stratford College, both in Rathgar, are mixed and, as far as I am aware, some of the bus routes from Tallaght go through Rathgar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gman8

Thanks lads. I get what your saying about moving school, it won't be perfect. I read allot of books and talked to allot of people in the last two years and built on my confidence and social skills. Its down to a argument that too much people got involved in ha ha.

6000 is quite high, but I'm not completely closed to what is suggested. I'll be checking out all the schools websites straight away. :) Thanks.

The problem is at the moment im going to a privet school, so I thought I could find a place in the same price bracket. Which, may not be possible. I may end up going to a public school which is really appealing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cammag

Stratford College in Zion Rd Rathgar is a very small mixed secondary school. It's fee-paying, but not as expensive as most others.
    Because it's so small, there is a lot of individual attention, good results and it's very friendly.
    Small schools do have some restrictions when it comes to subject choice, so that's something you should talk to them about.
    I've some personal experience of this school, my children went there.
    I have recommended others who were unhappy elsewhere to try it too and they have been delighted with it.
    It gave them a new start.
    You will get their contact details on the Stratford College website and there's a good chance they could take you mid-year.
    At least ring them and arrange a "go look see". And do focus on subject choice.
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Surely your parents should be more involved in this process.

It's not just a case of you finding some new pals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kilroywuzere

Hey there,
    I go to the high school, honestly its got great facilities, great academicly(better than my spelling shows) and its got such a friendly atmosphere you wouldnt believe. The 65b goes from tallaght to rathgar. School fees 5050, you get what you pay for, loads of extra curric activities, subject choice etc, great teachers, i cant overemphasize the way everyone is so friendly, its not very posh or anything, mates are so easy to come by im sure youll find plenty of lads wholl have you round on a saturday night or whatever. Cant say i know much about other schools, though the only other ones like us would be the likes of KH, wesley, no one else.
    A fresh start sounds like what you need, and a mixed school is probably best. If you just visit the high school or wesley youll see whether they appeal to you. New kids seem to come to our school rvery other week, theyre always welcome

Advertisement