Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boiler making weird noise!

Options
  • 30-09-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

the pressure gauge on our boiler has dropped to 0.5.
    Just got it serviced 2 weeks ago.
    Its still on, and there is still heat but as well as the pressure drop it is making a weird "chug chug" noise!
    Any ideas what could be going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

What was the pressure prior to the service?
    I would take a guess that the pump is cavitating due to low pressure at the suction side.

What make and model of boiler is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

JohnnieK wrote: »
    What was the pressure prior to the service?
    I would take a guess that the pump is cavitating due to low pressure at the suction side.

What make and model of boiler is it?

thanks johnnie,
    the pressure was at 3 before this.
    its so old I can't see any make or model on it!

if its a case that the pump is cavitating is there anything I can do myself or is it a case of calling a plumber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

nino1 wrote: »
    thanks johnnie,
    the pressure was at 3 before this.
    its so old I can't see any make or model on it!

if its a case that the pump is cavitating is there anything I can do myself or is it a case of calling a plumber?

Was it 3 while you where running it or before you where running it?

If it was like that when the boiler was running the pressure releife valve has probably opened to alow the excess pressure out and has dropped to 0.5.

There should be a fill point on the system somewhere usually located in the hotpress. It might be a silvery flexible braided hose with a valve on it. If you could take some pics of the boiler and hot press we might be able to see it.

Advertisement