Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbishing wooden door with new locking and double glaze panels

Options
  • 30-09-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

i've searched other threads but havent found answer to what i'm looking for.
    we're currently upgrading the windows and doors on a 1940s house. We are trying to avoid changing the front door(s) - double door see photo - for composite or upvc as its one of the few original remaining features.

is it possible to insert double glazed panels into the current door and add a multipoint locking mechanism to it to make sure its properly secured, or would the doors need to be built from scratch to accomodate the new thicker glass panels?

is this something a carpenter would take on and does anyone know of someone/somewhere who has done this kind of work before?

thanks

frenchdoors.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can be done. :cool:
    The rebates can be deepened and double glazing units can be got as thin as 15 mm.

Regarding the locks, quite easily done with a choice in locking systems available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frambo

thanks galwayrush, good to know its an option.
    is it something you've done yourself or you've got done?

i've got a place that will do the double glazed panels and was just trying to get an idea of how tricky a job it will be to securely fit the panels to the door (so they cant be prized out or tapped through from the front), will give me an idea of how labour/cost intensive its going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

Do you know if it's cost effective to have teak single glazed windows replaced by double glazing more reasonably than replacing the entire windows?

HelenV wrote: »
    Do you know if it's cost effective to have teak single glazed windows replaced by double glazing more reasonably than replacing the entire windows?

Quite a bit cheaper. Sometimes it's best to have the opening sashes fully replaced but the main frames are usually in good shape., even at that, it's a fraction of what it would cost to fully replace the lot.
    New sashes can me manufactured in thicker wood dimensions enabling the fitting of multi locking systems which give a tighter seal against the elements plus added security.

frambo wrote: »
    thanks galwayrush, good to know its an option.
    is it something you've done yourself or you've got done?

i've got a place that will do the double glazed panels and was just trying to get an idea of how tricky a job it will be to securely fit the panels to the door (so they cant be prized out or tapped through from the front), will give me an idea of how labour/cost intensive its going to be.

Don't do it ourselves on windows, but there are some companies around the country that do it. We have provided new glazing beads and new sashes for the job and have done quite a few doors in our workshop.
    The most expensive part will be the glass units.
    Removing old panels and deepening the rebate is a simple enough job. New glazing beading is inexpensive and can be machined in various styles and sizes to suit the particular job in hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement