Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a Difference a year makes!

Options
  • 30-09-2013 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

How are people for grass and grazing conditions?....was looking at last years diary at wkd,nearly all stock were housed this time last year!,was still grass but ground was far too wet to leave them out,
    ..........this year,grass is still growing away and all cattle still out,land was v wet a fortnight ago but has soaked out again so hope not to have to house any stock for at least 3 weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we say that everyday here:D:D:D fields you could barely walk in last year are bone dry.... good for the head after last year and the spring we had i dont think we could have handled any more crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yep this day last year feeding very little meal plenty of grass no real trafficability problems cows getting a small bit of silage at night after milking. This year everything getting silage now. Cows getting more than half their requirements indoors, heifers on silage since mid-august calves getting 4kg DM between meal and wholecrop. I've never seen a drought to drag on as long. I think we managed to get cows off silage for around a forthnight since first week of July. Any chance of a fund for weather victims this year?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Yep this day last year feeding very little meal plenty of grass no real trafficability problems cows getting a small bit of silage at night after milking. This year everything getting silage now. Cows getting more than half their requirements indoors, heifers on silage since mid-august calves getting 4kg DM between meal and wholecrop. I've never seen a drought to drag on as long. I think we managed to get cows off silage for around a forthnight since first week of July. Any chance of a fund for weather victims this year?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    isnt it mad ye where flying this time last year , for a small country it differs so much, even from farm to farm, neighbour feeding silage too while we are up to our knees in grass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Feeding cattle silage in yard. Impossible to scrape dried muck off yard place really looks dirty.

Spread nitrogen back on 2nd sept it's still there sitting on the ground doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Sharpshooter82

plenty of grass around here

• Advertisement

20silkcut wrote: »
    Feeding cattle silage in yard. Impossible to scrape dried muck off yard place really looks dirty.

Spread nitrogen back on 2nd sept it's still there sitting on the ground doing nothing.

Yards were like they had been powerwashed this morning and despite that much rain still no give in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Same here, dug a new entrance to one of the silage fields with a digger the wkend, I tried to drive down afew stakes using the bucket of the digger, not a hope, could hardly get them 3 or 4 inches into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

things are 300% better here this year than this time last year... hope it lasts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

biddy2013 wrote: »
    things are 300% better here this year than this time last year... hope it lasts
    I have to say this time last year i had most of the cattle out. I have about 30% out now and will be holding the rest for another while yet, then again if a good burst of grass comes and its dry i could end up just opening the doors. next weekends weather doesnt look too promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Miname wrote: »
    I have to say this time last year i had most of the cattle out. I have about 30% out now and will be holding the rest for another while yet, then again if a good burst of grass comes and its dry i could end up just opening the doors. next weekends weather doesnt look too promising.

Could do with a little rain to wash in the urea :p

Actually anyone remember paddys weekend last yr, utter washout, I remember thinking I shoulda bloody put the cows back in, they poached the access field they were passing through to bits, it took 6months to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Having to irrigate grass here now. We get two feet of rain over a couple of months and bone dry with 23 degrees.
    Last year was more kind with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

sheebadog wrote: »
    Having to irrigate grass here now. We get two feet of rain over a couple of months and bone dry with 23 degrees.
    Where's that?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Where's that?

Pays de la Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

It was better lest year, everything that was grown was sold. This year can't give away cabbage leeks turnips etc. And spuds, 70 euro a ton? Worse than cattle feed prices. And with the dry weather in the last week everyone's been out planting spuds, enough planted already to get to September. And it's only paddys day. Between 3 growers in north county Dublin they have 500acers planted. Don't think 'new season Rush Queens" will be expensive this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Got some great rains here resently irrigation hopefully finished for the year . this time last year we were in the middle of a drought feeding half the diet as meal and silage , have only feed 160 kg of supplement per cow so far this year

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Got some great rains here resently irrigation hopefully finished for the year . this time last year we were in the middle of a drought feeding half the diet as meal and silage , have only feed 160 kg of supplement per cow so far this year

We're promised 10mm of rain on Friday so here's hoping.

What sort of soil are you on. 10mm wouldn't do us much good in a drought situation, it would just disappear unless there was a real change in the weather.

What sort of soil are you on. 10mm wouldn't do us much good in a drought situation, it would just disappear unless there was a real change in the weather.

It's not that we're in a drought situation Freedom, it's more of a weather issue.

It went from inches of rain to a very sharp, dry, high temperatures. No moisture at all now. Irrigated grass last week and you could see it grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

It's not that we're in a drought situation Freedom, it's more of a weather issue.

It went from inches of rain to a very sharp, dry, high temperatures. No moisture at all now. Irrigated grass last week and you could see it grow!

Its a different world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

What sort of evaporation rates do you get in France in the main irrigation season we can be lose 4 \ 8 ml a day if we got 10ml irrigation would have to stay going

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    What sort of evaporation rates do you get in France in the main irrigation season we can be lose 4 \ 8 ml a day if we got 10ml irrigation would have to stay going

I've no idea of evaporation rates Trixi but at this time of year it's not a problem. From June though temps often head over 35 degrees and all the water I'm the world won't make it grow. Maize, soya and sunflowers do fine in the heat.

Advertisement