Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion tripping power switch - can I diagnose the problem?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hey all,

when my immersion switches on it trips an MCB switch on the breaker board. Some years ago i added an electronic timer switch to the manual immersion switch so it would switch on for 670 minutes in the morning. The timer seems to be fine as it is displaying time on the electronic clock control.

I live in a fairly hard water area, so suspect element is gone.

Are there any basic steps I could take to diagnose the problem or to confirm if it is the element or could it be a fuse somewhere in the immersion? I have a multimetre but no dedicated Immersion wrenches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

DonalB wrote: »
    hey all,

when my immersion switches on it trips an MCB switch on the breaker board. Some years ago i added an electronic timer switch to the manual immersion switch so it would switch on for 670 minutes in the morning. The timer seems to be fine as it is displaying time on the electronic clock control.

I live in a fairly hard water area, so suspect element is gone.

Are there any basic steps I could take to diagnose the problem or to confirm if it is the element or could it be a fuse somewhere in the immersion? I have a multimetre but no dedicated Immersion wrenches.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong guys,

But I don't know of any electronic digital time clocks for high Ampage of immersions as I only see FLASH ( not the best name ) and APT been the normal type.

Contunaty test required to see if short on blown element.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

scudo2 wrote: »
    correct me if I'm wrong guys,
    :D

If your competent with your multimeter then i would suggest you remove the cap off the immersion to reveal the connection, go across L&N and look for 230v, if you have it there then your looking at an element problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

:D

If your competent with your multimeter then i would suggest you remove the cap off the immersion to reveal the connection, go across L&N and look for 230v, if you have it there then your looking at an element problem.

You will not find 230V across the immersion when the MCB is tripped.
    Best thing to do is to check for short circuit/low resistance on the element.
    You could disconnect the element and check is the mcb still trips. This will verify an element fault.
    Switch off the power at the consumer unit before you open the element cover of course.

Advertisement