Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Orthognathic Surgery?

Options
  • 29-09-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all,

My Ortho keeps hinting towards surgery to correct an overbite and has suggested it would give me an aesthetically better jaw line as well as a better bite. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost? Unfortunately I don't have private health insurance so am a bit concerned!

Are there any major caveats with this procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

No posting clinic names....that is a price list for orthodontics, not orthographic surgery. Infraction given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Op orthographic surgery can make a dramatic difference to your appearance. It's not all at terrible to have done, however the ga and hospital stay will be expensive. Luckily it would take more than 6 months to decompensate prior to the surgery which is the lead I time for most insurance policies. A years insurance will be far less than private fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

Thanks for your reply, I've had my braces for going on 5 months so I'm not sure health insurance would cover it if I got it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Op orthographic surgery can make a dramatic difference to your appearance. It's not all at terrible to have done, however the ga and hospital stay will be expensive. Luckily it would take more than 6 months to decompensate prior to the surgery which is the lead I time for most insurance policies. A years insurance will be far less than private fees.

The lead in on insurance is 6 months but you cannot be aware of the need for treatment prior to getting the insurance.... you are aware of the need for treatment, therefore the lead in is 5 years (I think) so really not an option....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The lead in on insurance is 6 months but you cannot be aware of the need for treatment prior to getting the insurance.... you are aware of the need for treatment, therefore the lead in is 5 years (I think) so really not an option....

This is true, but unless you have been for a consultation with a max fax consultant you cannot yet know if you need the surgery. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 2015123

This is true, but unless you have been for a consultation with a max fax consultant you cannot yet know if you need the surgery. ;)

Sorry for the revival of this chat. I'm in a similar position, I am aware from a dentist that I have a jaw issue but it hasn't been confirmed by a surgeon. I have crooked teeth which I am obviously aware of :P but say I was to start a health insurance plan and went for an orthodontic assessment (after being covered for six months) and was informed then of a jaw issue by a surgeon....would a health insurance company cover me?

If they would, how long after would I be bound to them I wonder?

Advertisement