Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First appointment with psychologist.. (TG)

Options
  • 29-09-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

h e l p

Two things.

First, there is a lot of stuff I've never ever mentioned even to my family, like how as a young child (when I was very religious) I'd say a silent prayer every night along the lines of "Dear God. If you won't let me wake up a girl please don't let me wake up at all" or how secretly jealous I'd get of my little sister even if she was just getting a new pair of shoes, or how I'd steal her nail polish and secretly put it on my toes. I know this needs to come out and my Dad is coming with me, but I know how upset they'll be to hear it. It probably even sounds crazy to other TG people.

Second, will he judge me or just see me as a "another patient" with a "mental health issue"?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Second, will he judge me or just see me as a "another patient" with a "mental health issue"?

are you asking if a psychologist will treat your trans status as a mental illness? because unless you'd get someone seriously incompetent, they won't. who is the psychologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Scary Mary D

Don't have the name, the letter just says the appointment is with the "Donegal Mental Health Service". Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

Being TG just sounds awful, I can't imagine how horrible it is to be trapped in a body that's at odds with how you perceive yourself.
    No psychologist will treat this as a mental illness, but they will treat the host of issues that must come with it like lack of confidence and insecurity.
    Good luck Mary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Dr. Shrike

...as a young child (when I was very religious) I'd say a silent prayer every night along the lines of "Dear God. If you won't let me wake up a girl please don't let me wake up at all" or how secretly jealous I'd get of my little sister even if she was just getting a new pair of shoes, or how I'd steal her nail polish and secretly put it on my toes. I know this needs to come out and my Dad is coming with me, but I know how upset they'll be to hear it. It probably even sounds crazy to other TG people.

I would have assumed those were common childhood experiences for most or many TG people?

my Dad is coming with me

Why is your Dad coming with you? Are you under 18? How/why were you referred to this psychologist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

If you're looking for the coolest psychologist around you should go to Dr.James Kelly.
    I went to him about getting referred and he was awesome. You're dad doesnt have to come with you. unless maybe if your under 16 or something.

Advertisement