Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filezilla wont work since getting UPC Horizon box

Options
  • 29-09-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I use Filezilla and all was working perfectly. I changed no settings. I recently got a UPC Horizon box which has the TV, phone and router build into one box. I forwarded all the ports I was using to connect but no matter what I try it wont connect. I have all firewalls off on the PC and horizon box. I bridged my Netgear router to the Horizon box that it was all set up on before I got the Horizon but still no joy. Anyone got the same issue or using Filezilla with the UPC Horizon box ? I get Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
    Error: Could not connect to server

I tried the config wizard and got :

Response: 200 PORT command successful
    LIST
    Response: 150 opening data connection
    Response: 503 Failure of data connection.
    Server sent unexpected reply.
    Connection closed

Sounds like a firewall issue but with all turned off could it be UPC blocking it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

When you say you bridged your netgear router to the hirizin box what exactly do you mean??
    The horizon box doesnt allow itself to be bridged.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

I mean plugged it into the horizon box and turned off wifi on horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Not sure how or if this helps. I have a PC running filezillla server wired direct to horizon box. I use filezilla on a laptop to transfer via wireless to/from PC with no issues. All of this is within my own house/LAN and I have no other modem/router involved. All worked almost straight away with standard settings on router, no port forwarding used. Had folder/file permission errors at the start but ok now.

Next step I want to do, is see if I can externally FTP to/from to my win 7 pro PC. I believe I have opened up the ports, have a basic understanding of port forwarding, know my public IP is not static but am just getting started, I'll open up a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

jaybe1 wrote: »
    I mean plugged it into the horizon box and turned off wifi on horizon.

That does not mean it's bridged, to be bridged you'd need to put it in bridge mode, stop it Natting and get your public IP onto the Wan interface of the Horizon box. What you have at the moment is double Nat, which can cause no end of trouble as ports opened on the Horizon box aren't opened on the Netgear

Looking at this again, you only need to portforward for access to your FTP server from outside your network, is this what you want? A standard firewall only blocks incoming, it does not affect traffic from device to device inside your lan.

• Advertisement

smee again wrote: »
    Looking at this again, you only need to portforward for access to your FTP server from outside your network, is this what you want? A standard firewall only blocks incoming, it does not affect traffic from device to device inside your lan.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to access this from another network. I've had this set up before using the Netgear router through the UPC modem and through the Cisco router supplied by UPC before I got the horizon.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to access this from another network. I've had this set up before using the Netgear router through the UPC modem and through the Cisco router supplied by UPC before I got the horizon.

It should not have worked. Double Nat is the problem. Get that modem in bridge mode and it should fix your problem.

Other option is to turn the Horizon into an AP and switch, ie stop it routing, disable DHCP, Nat, the firewall and just connect to a lan port. You'll then need to port forward on the modem

There's no mention of NAT on the horizon box so don't think it can be turned off. firewall seems to be off by default Might try to connect to FileZilla again just through the horizon box again but I'm sure I have all the correct ports forwarded on it and still no joy. I have a netgear wnr1000v2 and don't think bridge mode is available on this model either so kinda snookered !!

There's no mention of NAT on the horizon box so don't think it can be turned off. firewall seems to be off by default Might try to connect to FileZilla again just through the horizon box again but I'm sure I have all the correct ports forwarded on it and still no joy. I have a netgear wnr1000v2 and don't think bridge mode is available on this model either so kinda snookered !!

It's a gateway router, it's main function is Nat and may not be an option to disable on a pretty basic router. You need to remove one Nat somehow or another, Natting twice means opening the ports does nothing.

smee again wrote: »
    It's a gateway router, it's main function is Nat and may not be an option to disable on a pretty basic router. You need to remove one Nat somehow or another, Natting twice means opening the ports does nothing.

Any recommendations on a decent router if I can't get this to work ? Don't think I'll be able to turn Nat off on either router or horizon box. How do you rate TP link ones. Have asked a network engineer before and he said he started using them to try them out cause all the Netgear ones he used before gave trouble and failed a lot. He said the TP link had some nice features that only the high end routers had and never had a minutes trouble with them.

• Advertisement

TP Link are OK, cheap and cheerful. Before splashing out, try disabling DHCP and just use the lan ports of the horizon. Then you'll need to portforward on the modem, the Horizon should just act like a switch and access point (no routing)

Still didn't get this to work. Anyone on here using FileZilla with a UPC horizon box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You cant bridge so the two options I see are:

Get the PF working correctly on the Horizon box. No reason why it shouldnt work, even if its a crap box.

Or DMZ the horizon box onto your own router. This is a rough and ready way to simulate bridging.

Before trying the DMZ route I'd try your PF settings again, make sure you arent mistaken.

1. Set up a reserved IP for the FTP host
    2. Forward port 21 to it, eg
    1	FTP	20	21	20	21	192.168.2.200

3. Test status: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 - With the FTP server off you should see stealth on 21, with it live you should see FAIL(this is what you want)

Post screenshots of your config if you want and posters can vet them.

Advertisement