Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Boiler - No hot water anymore

Options
  • 29-09-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi folks,

Hope someone can give me some help solving my boiler problem - or at least figuring out what is going on. For the last 4 days we have had to have cold showers due to having no hot water. Previously it has been a bit iffy with some days us having awesome hot water showers, then other days with warmish showers. Then we started getting tepid/cold only showers.

Our house has storage heaters (which we are not currently using) and we were told that the boiler heats up overnight when the electricity cost rate drops. This morning I woke up and checked the tap at 8am and it was quite warm verging on hot. Tried it at 10am and it was barely above cold. The confusing thing is that the showers are not stone cold - like that coming out of the cold tap.

I've tried to read online about what the problem might be - but this is what my boiler looks like (Pics below). It has no pilot light, I can't find any dials telling me what the pressure is etc.

http://imgur.com/a/zvYTw

In our kitchen we have one of these E30 powerbooster things, but it doesn't seem to do anything to change the temperature of the water.

Any thoughts aside from calling out a professional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Before directing you to open and test electrical connections would you say your competent to do so ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Before directing you to open and test electrical connections would you say your as that competent to do so ?

He's looking for a pilot light on the cyl. I think answers that one !

OP. Are you sure that non of the hot taps are dripping as that would account for water not staying hot and been used up.

If not, you need professional help.
    As in an electrican !
    if you don't see any other cause. Not recomended to open electrics due to high ampage if you are unsure.

ps. No pilot light on electric water cylindre only on gas boilers.
    Or are you saying no light as in bulbs on timer. If so check that no fuses have triped.

Does the black plastic water tank on top get hot or warm ( it shouldn't ) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Iovian

Yep, I have no knowledge whatsoever so I wouldn't like to tamper with electronics too much. None of the taps are dripping, and I don't think the black tank on top gets hot. When we first came here the metal rod that runs up the middle was hot - now it doesn't heat up at all it seems.

I did a little investigating of the two thermostat black boxes (with the power off of course) and in the top one the neutral wire (blue) is not connected to anything. The one at the bottom is connected - it is attached with a screw. Could this be the issue? That one thermostat is not working?

Images of them here:
    http://imgur.com/a/poe3E#WI4LBD8

Thanks for the replies so far.

Your only using the bottom element because of the type of switch/timer you are using. If you carefully turn on the timer (does the light illuminate?) and have means of testing the brown on the element for power then you will of narrowed down your search.

Are you competent ??

I would say I am not competent in the slightest I am afraid a I never do DIY . I'm also colourblind which doesn't help things either ;)

So it is okay that in the top one doesn't have the neutral connected?

I'm not sure where the timer or light you are referring to are. On the thermostat there is a little red dial that I can move. It is currently set at 80, but I saw online most people set them from 60-65. I've twisted it around, but not light or sign of illumination from anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Iovian wrote: »
    I would say I am not competent in the slightest I am afraid a I never do DIY . I'm also colourblind which doesn't help things either ;)

I'm not sure where the timer or light you are referring to are. On the thermostat there is a little red dial that I can move. It is currently set at 80, but I saw online most people set them from 60-65. I've twisted it around, but not light or sign of illumination from anywhere.

If this is the case I think the best thing you could do is call in a pro

Iovian wrote: »

Please do not touch the thermostat (little red dial, should be at 60) or anything in the element (black covers)

The light i refer to is on the ElectrisaverE30 you have pictured, does yours illuminate ?

In the past you would have had an option of heating just half a tank.

You need an Electrician.

Yeah the E30 illuminates, but doesn't seem to have an affect. I've tried it on all three settings and checked the taps at various times - still the same temperature.

Thanks folks - an electrician it is then!

Just on the off chance, it is turned on at the switch down on the left in the hot press ?

Advertisement