Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coloured /red salmon

Options
  • 28-09-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

first year salmon fishing only just getting into it really but i am really after taking a shine to it and catching some cracking fish

what are peoples opinions on the coloured up fish ?

i know its late in the year and with low water there is going to be a lot around but are they essentially the same fish but just lose their silver look ? or do they go stale as such and shouldnt be eaten ?

reason i ask is i had 12 fish in last 3 visits to river 11 were returned safetly but one today about 7/8 lb got snagged in a weed bed it was a disaster really i ended up waiding out trying to free him getting soaked but he didnt survive so i tagged him and gave him to my uncle he was happy out but i hope i didnt just give him a free trip to hospital ha

so what ye think ? would ye kill a coloured fish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Personally i wouldn't take a coloured fish, but have seen lots taken over the years! They just dont look as fresh or as impressive as a silver fish that has just entered the river. They also dont fight as well as a fresh run fish. Saying that, they still taste as good so up 2 yourself really!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Its generally not the done thing. its often forbidden on some fisheries, however quantifying what a coloured fish is , is not trivial. For some if it doesn't have sea lice on it its not fresh ( which is a bit ridiculous)
    No harm in keeping it if the fish is beyond help. It has happened to me a few times.
    the flesh looses its pinkness and becomes paler as the time in river gets longer.
    however its still grand for a while at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

popsy09 wrote: »
    first year salmon fishing only just getting into it really but i am really after taking a shine to it and catching some cracking fish

what are peoples opinions on the coloured up fish ?

i know its late in the year and with low water there is going to be a lot around but are they essentially the same fish but just lose their silver look ? or do they go stale as such and shouldnt be eaten ?

reason i ask is i had 12 fish in last 3 visits to river 11 were returned safetly but one today about 7/8 lb got snagged in a weed bed it was a disaster really i ended up waiding out trying to free him getting soaked but he didnt survive so i tagged him and gave him to my uncle he was happy out but i hope i didnt just give him a free trip to hospital ha

so what ye think ? would ye kill a coloured fish

From a food safety point of view the red fish should be fine to eat but post spawning kelts can accumulate a lot of toxins in the flesh and should be avoided.

As said though its generally not the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

had another 5 fish yesterday up to 12 lb approx all red but great fun , all returned safetly too, so taking one fish from so many cant do any harm and he had some today for dinner and it was lovely so i was happy

i must get up some pics in the other thread i had a cock fish about 10lb ish the "kype " or the hook jaw it had was amazing , i never seen one like it before the way the top lip forms like a cavity for the hook to slot in , was nice to see

Advertisement